Lost and Found

Millie was...well, exhilarated.

Finn was unlike anyone she had ever met before, and that prospect was more exciting than she had ever imagined something could be.

Their conversation in his room had created a strange sort of agreement between the two of them. Not exactly a friendship, as Gaten had suggested, but more of an awkward alliance.

But, at the same time, it wasn't awkward.

It was hard to explain, but Millie felt more alive when she awoke around ten that morning, as if a part of her had forgotten about everything else.

That day she took Finn to a playground she used to take Ava to when her sister was younger. He clearly needed more experience with small kids after his day spent with Henry Blackburn, and this was the perfect place to do it.

Finn wanted Gaten to drive them, but Millie insisted on walking. She rarely got to spend any time outside the mansion, and the chance was too good to pass up; the day was sunny and absolutely beautiful, however cold it was.

Once at the park, Millie brought Finn around to speak to several different children, and he did, surprisingly, alright.

He did come dangerously close to shouting "Fuck!" when he stubbed his foot on a seesaw with three little girls present, but with one firm glance from Millie, he kept his mouth shut and settled on whimpering in pain instead.

And there was one instance when a bratty little boy told Finn that his curly hair was ugly. The celebrity was not too happy about that, and Millie had had to coax him away cautiously before he could attack the kid.

But all in all, the park was a success.

He even made friends with two toothless twins named Anniston and Tinsley. They were completely identical and had come up to Finn and Millie with no warning, asking them kindly if they would push them on the swings.

Their mother seemed to be very busy on her phone on a bench, so the duo relented. They had a pleasant conversation with the seven year olds, and in the end, one of them told Finn he had a pretty smile and gave him a hug.

Millie had seen it in his eyes: he nearly melted on the inside. No matter how much he despised children, he truly adored these two.

On the walk back to the mansion at around one in the afternoon, Finn turned toward Millie with a goofy smile plastered on his face. "How did I do?"

"You were phenomenal," she complimented genuinely, beaming at him in praise. "I'm so proud of you for not murdering that jerk boy when he called your hair ugly."

"Ugh, don't even remind me about that little shit."

Millie collapsed into laughter, and Finn's silly grin widened. He couldn't help chuckling a bit too. He loved it when she laughed.

Millie straightened again and wiped her eyes. "And those twins adored you, you know." She gazed up at him pointedly. "You may actually have a shot at this charity thing."

"You think?"

"I really do."

They were quiet for a few minutes. But it was not awkward at all. It was a pleasant kind of silence, the kind where you can just enjoy each other's company and not have to worry about silly things like steady conversation.

Finn broke the stillness by asking her a question he had been wondering since the day before. "How are you so good with kids? I mean, I know you have a little sister and all, but seriously. You make it look so easy."