Breathe

"So, Millie, when did you start working with Finn?" a fan asked curiously, tilting his head to the side.

Millie blinked in confusion before remembering with a start: everybody thought Finn was her teacher who had taught her how to sing. That was the story they had come up with to get her onto the stage.

"Oh, um..." She looked to Finn for help, but he was busy trying to fight back a grin while playing with his fingernails. "He's very...harsh sometimes." Finn's eyes snapped up to Millie's, glimmering with amusement, but his head stayed in the same place. "But he can also be quite sweet at other times."

Finn raised his microphone to his mouth. "Hear that? You know Millie Mars is British when she says 'quite sweet' about a person and not a dessert." The crowd chuckled lightly.

"Shut up, Finn!" Millie protested, causing the people below her to snigger again.

The fan at the mic nodded with a smile and retreated, allowing the person behind him to step forward. She cleared her throat before speaking. "Hi, my question might be a little personal, but I know a lot of people here want to know as well as I do. Where did your nickname for Millie come from, Finn?"

Finn's tension softened a bit. He had expected the question to be more personal than that, considering the way the girl had announced it. He flashed a handsome grin her way. "Well, when I met Millie, she was singing a Bruno Mars song. I made fun of her for it."

Millie smiled to herself as the crowd laughed again. Finn knew how to make anyone laugh.

"I asked her if she would rather me call her Millie Mars or Bruno Bobby Brown, and she told me she wouldn't prefer either one. So I chose for her!" Finn brought his microphone down with a smirk at Millie, who rolled her eyes playfully at him.

The next fan wanted to know what their favorite memory together was.

They both agreed on rain dancing.

The fan after that asked how long they had known each other.

They lied out of necessity: a year.

The next person's question was if they spent a lot of time together.

Yes.

Millie was beginning to see a sort of pattern. Everyone here seemed to think she and Finn were in a romantic relationship, and wanted it to be true. Each fan who asked a question asked something more personal than the last, and it was on the verge of uncomfortable.

That was when she really started to look around at the crowd. Several people dotting the room were wearing white hats with a word printed on them in black that she couldn't quite make out. She squinted and leaned forward in her chair a tiny bit.

Apparently it was a little obvious.

"Millie, what on earth are you doing?" Finn looked beyond humorous as he watched her attempt to read the hats.

Millie almost fell out of her chair, having leaned too far. "I was just trying to see what all these hats people are wearing say," she replied absentmindedly, still squinting.

A fan wearing one of the hats shouted out a word, but Millie didn't catch it. Immediately after the word was spoken, the entire audience began cheering loudly.

"What did you say?" she called when the applause died down.

"Fillie!" a group of people responded together. They were met with more cheers.

Millie exchanged a glance with Finn, who shrugged and laughed. "It's our names combined together," he explained over the noise of the audience at her puzzled expression. When she still seemed lost, he added, "You know, Finn and Millie make Fillie."