Two years later (After the events of the crime)

The weather was freezing that day in the winter house located in Maine. Venus flipped through the mail, expecting junk. Instead, she found an invitation to Betty and Troy's wedding. She set it on the table and continued flipping, finding a business card from Lou. Now, she was the youngest businesswomen in the U.S. She set it down next to the invitation. All that was left was bills and an ad for a sale on culinary knives. Knives. Her fingers trembled to hold the ad, if she could go back she would call the ambulance instead. Marco had filled her in on the whole story that night. Lou left the door open that night and Troy had come in. It was an accident he didn't do anything, he just surprised Marco, who was cooking a stew for the next day. He was chopping vegetables and heard the door open, bringing the knife with him, in case it was a burglar. He was so shocked that it was Troy in the living room, he dropped the knife. He headed over to help Troy get back to his house but he tripped on the rug, causing the knife to plunge into his stomach. Blood splattered against Troy's clothes, Marco screamed for the first time that night.

 In a state of deep consciousness, Troy turned around and headed out of the house, shutting the door behind him. The scream woke Venus up to find her husband bleeding on the floor. She began crying until he turned over and told Venus what had happened. After he told her, he grabbed her hand and said something she never thought Marco Shedd would say in a million years, "My love, it is too late for me. Please, take this knife and end my pain.". Venus shook her head furiously and told him no, she couldn't do it. He rubbed her wedding ring, "Please do this one thing for me.". She should have just called the ambulance, but she listened to what her husband told her. She ripped the knife from his stomach and held it in her hands. She decided to have what she learned about psychology to help her. She grabbed a towel and removed any trace of fingerprints off of it, she held the knife with a towel and plunged it into Marco's stomach. Marco screamed for the last time that night. Venus sobbed as she placed her lips to his forehead. At 5:05 am, Venus called the Police.

  Shortly after that, Mr. Fret came knocking. She told him that it was murder, she couldn't bear to tell him that it was suicide, Marco would never commit that. When he asked her who she thought did it, she muttered, "Me.". Mr. Fret's eyes widened. She was shocked by her answer, she told him she meant to say "He" not "Me". But that was wrong too, Marco told her not to blame Troy. She told Mr. Fret not to tell anyone her answer. If he told, she would blame him. Mr. Fret agreed as Troy's scream rang out. At 5:15 am, Troy was arrested, only because he had entered the house at the hour. As Troy was driven away, the neighbors felt guilty, for each one had participated in the crime. Venus never fully recovered from what she did, she moved to her winter house to be alone. Venus picked up the invitation and the business card and threw it in the trash. Never did she ever want to see those people again. If she came back to Hikford, she might be sent to Prison. She threw herself onto her couch, overlooking the wintery views, and wailed.

She wailed for her former wonderful life, her late husband, and most of all, herself.