Chapter 20

Michelle was in the kitchen with her mother, Anna, eating breakfast when Anna got a phone call. Michelle can hear only one side of the conversation, but it didn't take long for her to realize who she was talking to.

"Hello?" Anna answered the phone. "Yes, this is her, may I ask who is calling?...........Oh you're Betty's mother! Well it nice to finally talk to you..........yeah they have become good friends.........that sounds like a lot of fun......It's this Saturday?...........well I'll make sure Michelle and I and my other daughter Maya attend........yes she's the same Maya Jones that write that Op-Ed for the Bugle a few years ago...........Thanks for calling Sara, we'll see you Saturday. Bye." she hung up.

Michelle just stares at her mother.

"What?" Anna asked looking at Michelle.

"You're just not gonna tell me why Mrs. Brant called you." Michelle rolled her eyes.

"Firstly, don't ever roll your eyes at me--"

"It was an accident--"

"And secondly," Anna continues, "if you give me a chance to talk, I'll tell you."

Michelle is silent waiting for Anna to talk and her mother is purposely dragging it out. Finally, after what feels like an eternity to Michelle her mother spoke.

"Apparently Sara Brant is on the school Board and they have decided to throw a back to school Bar-B-Que at the park for the incoming senior students and their families this Saturday. We're going." She says before her daughter and complain.

Michelle grunts. The last thing she wants to do on her last Saturday before school starts is anything school related. She sighs and gets up from the table. "I have to go to the Bugle. I'll see you later," she says to her mother.

"Have a good day Michelle!"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's the Saturday before school starts and Michelle is in the car with her mother and sister. She complained the whole day about not wanting to go to this stupid Bar-B-Que. "Too Bad" Anna told her. Michelle can admit she's acting like a child, but she can't help it, so she takes out a book and tries to ignore her mother and sister talking.

"We're here Michelle," Anna says. They park is a little out of the city in a nice area.

They all get out of the car and start heading to the pavilion where there was a crowd of people. The first person Michelle notices is Betty because she was running up to her.

Betty ran up to Michelle and hugged her, much to Michelle's dismay.

"Hey MJ! I'm so glad you came! I know this isn't your things, so I didn't think you'd come." She turned her attention to Anna and Maya. "Hi Ms. Jones! Hi Maya! How are you?!"

Anna answers while Maya laughs at the overly excited teen. "Were good Betty. Thanks. Where is your mother? I would love to meet her."

"Let me take you to her," Betty says leading the way.

In the crowd of people. Michelle can see a few recognizable faces. She spots Brad and Gwen with their parents, and vows to avoid them at all cost. Cindy is talking to Harry while their parents talk to each other. She sees Felicia and Flash looking uncomfortable as they parents are having an expressive conversation. As she gets closer to Betty's mom, Michelle sees Peter and May talking with Ned's Parents. Peter gives her a wink.

"Oh, look Chelley, I think I spotted your little boyfriend! Should I go introduce myself?" Maya asked walking over there, but Michelle holds her back.