III

~~~ One year later ~~~

"AYU CHAN!"

I flinched as two muscular arms held me tight and squashed me against the owner's chest.

"O-ow Yuji, let go" I grumbled against his bare chest.

The carrot top released me from his deathly grip and rubbed his neck sheepishly.

"Sorry, its just been so long since we've seen you"

I chuckled.

"Yeah that mission was a real pain"

Lord Raikage had sent me on a solo mission to assassinate some suna ninja who'd tried to attack an escort mission from Konoha to here.

It came as a shock to my teammates that I was sent alone on what should be a B rank mission.

But I wasn't all that surprised.

Not to brag or anything, but I graduated the academy 1 year early, and I have been at the top of my class since I could remember.

Suddenly a large hand was tangled in my hair and I looked up to see Eichi sensei smiling down at me.

"Good to have you back Ayume, the boys and I have really missed you"

A blush rose to my cheeks.

"I was only gone for two months..."

"Yeah but in those two months, we've had no one to get Yuji to shut up" Masahiro grumbled from beside me.

"Hey!" Yuji whined.

Sensei smiled at the three of us but then the atmosphere quickly shifted.

"Over the past year or so, you've all become so strong, each and every one of you have impressed me immensely. Not only have you individually grown, but as a team you have truly blossomed and become an unstoppable unit. That is why... I am putting the three of you forward for the chunin exams this year."

Yuji pumped his fist into the air, however Masahiro and I stayed quiet.

"Guys why ain't you excited?! Finally no more boring missions, well beside Ayu chan, but still!" He exclaimed.

Masahiro sighed.

"Yuji, this means we'll be killing people..."

"Way to be blunt" I mumbled.

"Its true!" Masahiro protested.

"I-I wanted to keep that side of being a shinobi away for as long as possible... And Yuji, I can't even see you hurting a fly with true intent"

Eichi sensei sighed.

"Masahiro, think of it this way, by becoming a chunin and exposing yourself to higher ranking missions and more danger, you're one step closer to curing your grandma and becoming the great medical ninja you want to be"