v. the tragedy

DAMNED GODS,
chapter five: the tragedy!

          TIM DRAKE WAS SMART ENOUGH TO BECOME ROBIN. Or at least, to guess who Batman really was and how to find him - however, Drake became Robin's next successor on patrol, and Barbara Gordon took the mantle of Batgirl, being something of a companion for the dynamic duo from Batman and Robin. Olivia, meanwhile, continued to be helpful in the Batcave as Oracle - helping the two on all sorts of missions, as the blonde refused to sleep without having attempted a new search for Jason Todd. Six months have passed since the last time she saw him and the mention of his disappearance, six months in which Bruce Wayne had found a replacement for Robin and now Tim Drake was in his place - something that really annoyed Olivia Wayne.

          "How dare you...?" Her voice cut off and the young woman felt a sob emanate from her throat, wanting to break her voice. "How dare you replace him?"

          Bruce was silent that night, listening to every word his protégé mentioned and criticized for his behavior. Olivia knew Bruce very well, knowing that he wouldn't be able to replace Jason that quickly - unless she was terribly wrong. Olivia focused her green eyes on Bruce's blue ones and waited for an answer, an answer that she was afraid to hear with all the sincerity in the world. But she needed to know.

          "I'm not replacing him, Liv," Bruce replied, somehow, feeling that this wouldn't be enough for the blonde girl. "Tim is a good detective, he will help us find Jason."

          "And did you dress him up as a Robin?"

          "There was no choice."

          Olivia, despite her anger and rage at Batman's worst enemy, replied, "Yes, there's always a choice."

          Something darkened in Bruce, something that Olivia couldn't quite decipher but frankly feared doing it, something that only the two of them could understand and that Olivia was able to drop that bomb. A bomb that Batman and Bruce Wayne would stop before it exploded. "No."

          "Bruce..."

          "I won't make the same mistake twice, Liv," added the millionaire, looking at her seriously. "And I want you to abide by this order until the day I die: you will not be Robin."

          "Let me find him!" She implored and felt warm tears wet her cheeks. Olivia walked up to Bruce hit his chest. "We can't let him die. Please..."

          "Olivia, I will be firm in my decision," Wayne snapped in a shrill voice and took the blonde's wrists. "I don't want to lose you too. I'm sorry."

          Olivia Winifred Wayne's lips were sealed, as if sewn with needle and thread, and she allowed herself to cry silently as Bruce Wayne wrapped her in his arms, resting his chin on the blonde's head. Not having Jason with them was really difficult, and not only because a revolting soul was missing from the house, but that this place lacked the violence and at the same time the calm that emanated from Todd. It looked so strange, so unusual and unknown, leaving a bitter taste in everyone's mouth and uncertainty in their heads - that no one knew what was going to happen.