xii. a loss and a hero

TWO SOULS,
chapter twelve: a loss and a hero!

          THERE WAS SOMETHING BEAUTY ON OLIVIA WAYNE'S FACE. At least that was what the Arkham Knight thought. So much delicacy, so much grace, all wasted on a caped suit - that was a bit disturbing. However, the enemy saw beauty among all that mess of blonde locks and the black mask. He didn't dare to remove it, didn't even allow his men to do so - despite their great and restless insistence. Olivia kept lying on the ground, being illuminated by the moonlight and the lights that kept Gotham illuminated. Her breathing was simple, calm, unwavering - as if she were in a deep sleep. As if she were really dead, and this was just a bag of meat without a soul.

          Oh, but he knew what a soulless bag of meat was.

          He knew what that space was like, that dark and desolate environment.

          The Arkham Knight paced from one side to the other, a thousand and one thoughts hovering in his head, from anger to the inevitable rage. From time to time he would see if his prisoner changed position while she was unconscious, but was surprised to see that she hadn't even turned around. In a sudden moment she stopped to check if she was even breathing. He was terrified just thinking that he had killed his soulmate with his bare hands, that he had really let her go, and that she had left him alone. No, that she had abandoned him.

          Feeling that pain in his gut had never affected him so much.

          Olivia remained stiff, calm, breathing slowly and calmly, falling into an endless black hole. Just falling, falling and falling; waiting to crash against the hard and cold ground, which would spell out her death and defeat in the mortal world. But it never came, if not she continued falling, feeling the wind on her face, feeling the smell of death so close but so far at the same time. It was a very frightening, confusing and restless vicious circle - she expected to meet the end, but the end didn't meet her. That was deeply regrettable, for her at least. A flurry of words hovered in her head, words that came from her mouth, from the mouths of others, past vestiges that threatened to remain in that dark and desolate tunnel.

          "Olivia."

          She felt pain hearing that voice, a lot of pain.

          Jason.

          Jason.

          When she turned around, she found his face, the face of Jason Peter Todd. Everything was quiet around her, everything was fine. No threat in sight, no danger to worry about. It was a safe place. Olivia felt the weight of her mask against her pores, but her green eyes clearly saw Jason in front of her, his appearance hadn't changed, he looked the same as last time - she saw him alive. She tried to touch him, but there was something holding her back, something that kept her frozen in place.