19. Locked Out

This happened twice. With two different people and in two different months. 

The first happened when a guest with a conjoined room with her parents left through her parents' door. She had the deadbolt locked (which means that our key cards do not work for the door) and the sleeper-lock on (which is the lock that won't allow the door to open all the way). 

She also went through her parents' door and didn't put something between the two doors to keep it open when it swung closed. 

The doors between rooms don't have handles on the inside for privacy and security reasons. 

So when that door closed fully there was no way into this room at all. 

I went to my manager and the manager of maintenance and they came up to see what they could do. It took nearly an hour but finally, they got the door open for me to clean. 

I left a note for the guest to know what happened with a friendly reminder to leave through their own door to prevent it from happening again. 

When she got back, she was thankful that I gave her the tip and asked for some toilet paper. She explained to me that she hadn't even thought of unlocking the doors because she was excited to go out for lunch with her parents.

The next time was quite similar, but this one was a check-out and a priority. So I needed to get into this room quickly. 

The manager for maintenance wasn't there and it was only the new guy who had no idea what to do and had to call him for help. 

Those are a few of those moments where a guests bad day is mine as well.