20. That One Day With Maintenance

This was one of those days that nothing could go right. Well at least with terms of what needed to be fixed and whatnot. 

It started when I go to a room and noticed the safe in the room was locked, I called maintenance for that and today they came quickly. He unlocked the safe and was heading down the stair close to the room when I noticed the light in the bathroom wasn't working. 

I raced to the stairs and called out for him. He came back up to see what the problem was. The light was burned out, or so we thought. 

He went and got new lightbulbs to fix the problem and found out that it wasn't the bulbs. The room was going to take a lot of time, and I had finished all the work for that room aside from the bathroom. 

I looked over to him, "I am going to be in the room next door, let me know when you're done." He nodded and began his work again. I used a rag off my cart to stuff it in the door and keep it open. 

It took him another 45 minutes before he was done. He had to completely fix the wiring, but eventually, it got done. 

And I had another problem. 

There was a leak in the window. These windows do not open at all. There is no screen, just a window.

I looked up from the water on the window seal and see the water leaking in from the window frame. The glass itself wasn't broken, but the seal was coming off. 

I went back to the man with this urgent issue and he had to put the room out of order. That was a big issue, the room was a priority. 

And I had another issue. 

There was grease coming from the closing mechanism on the door. Turns out this was normal, the doors were getting old and would eventually leak. This would lead the doors to start slamming closed instead of shutting gently. 

To say the least, it was a rough day for both of us. And guess what?

It all happened on the third floor.