17. Power Outage

It was late into August and Alana called me into work because they were a girl short. I was definitely meant to be off that day and I was really looking forward to swimming with my family, but I said yes and came into work regardless.

I got to work and Alana was coming in from a smoke, "Just to let you know, at 11 we are going to be shutting all the power off in the hotel." I nodded.

The local utilities company was putting a cage over the hydro box that was used for the hotel, squirrels kept getting fried and the power kept going out so they were going to solve that problem. 

It was getting closer to 11 and I decided to make things a little easier, I was going to go to the floor I had the most rooms on. I got out of the elevator and kept going through my rooms until the power was shut off. 

It was dark and quiet. Like not normal quiet, like eerie quiet. The only thing that was heard was the flutter of my rock music sifting down the hallway. Once it was gone, it was dead silence. 

Alana came to me and told me not to clean the bathroom because I couldn't see, but I had already been using the flashlight on my cell phone. I was going to go back and check each room before I left.

I went through all the rooms on this floor and the power was on shortly after. I went through each room to vacuum, set the clocks and check the bathrooms (which were flawless by the way) before I went on to clean the next floor on my list. 

This is when it came to light that one of the girls Emberly was stuck in the elevator for over an hour and a half. She had claustrophobia and believed she had passed out for a time. 

A few other people and I were telling her she should sue the company we worked for. We all believed they should have checked the elevators before giving the go ahead to turn off the power. 

This was one of those days that would live on in the history of my memory.