Pearl's Answer

" ~ We could be kings of the world on top of the nation its a celebration of the moments to come the city's on fire we're holding up lighters ready for the raising them up higher, we've only begun! ~ "

My phone began to play my ringtone, waking me up from my afternoon 'nap'

I placed the phone to my ear and rolled over so that i was back on my picnic blanket under my favorite tree once more

"Honey, what is it?" I asked, my voice audibly groggy.

" Hey Mom, I'm putting you on speakerphone, but you have to remain silent." Steven said, his voice oddly quiet.

" What, why?"I asked, stifling a yawn as i did so

" Please Mom, it's important, just trust me...someone wants to tell you how much you mean to them- " Steven said in a pleading voice, his voice still quiet. I just sighed before letting out a fine and sitting up properly, putting my phone on speaker mode. It was silent for a few seconds before I heard a distant voice coming from Steven's line. It was too quiet for me to be able to make out who it was.

" You ready Pearl?"I heard Steven ask. What? Why is Pearl there with him? What is he planning?

Eyebrows furrowed in confusion, wondering what Steven and Pearl were up to. " One, two, three, four." Steven said before he began to strum on his ukulele.

" ~ Everything you do it sends me higher than the moon, with every twinkle in your eye you strike a match that lights my heart on fire." Pearl's voice began to ring out from the phone along to the rhythm of Steven's strumming. " When you're near, I hide my blushing face and trip on my shoelaces. Grace just isn't my forte, but it brings me to my knees when you say ' Hello, how are you, my darling today? ' " Pearl continued, as I felt my cheeks grow hot. " I fall into a pile on the floor, puppy love is hard to ignore when everything you do, I do adore. We're as different as can be, I've noticed you're remarkably relaxed and I'm overly uptight. We balance out each other nicely. You wear sandals in the snow, in mid-July I still feel cold. We're opposite in every way, but I can't resist it when you say ' Hello, how are you, my darling today? ' I fall into a pile on the floor, puppy love is hard to ignore when every little thing you do, I do adore. Finding words, I mutter, tongue-tied, twisted, foot in mouth, I start to stutter. Ha, ha, Heaven help me. Hello, how are you, my darling today? I fall into a pile on the floor, puppy love is hard to ignore, when every little thing you do, I do adore. Every little thing, bapapapa. Every little thing, bapapapa. Every little thing you do, I do adore.~ " Pearl finished singing as Steven stopped his strumming.

" Pearl, that was great!" Steven cheered from his end, while I had a huge grin on my face.

I heard Pearl say something, but it was muffled and impossible to make out? "C'mon Pearl it was great, I'm sure Mom will love it." Another muffled reply, then a sigh from Steven came from my phone. " You still there Mom?" Steven asked, his voice a lot clear than it was before.

" Yeah, I'm still here" I said taking my phone off of speaker mode and putting it up to my ear.

" So, did Pearl know you had me on the phone or..."

" Uh, I may have not told her about it." Steven replied, letting out a nervous laugh. " But it was important, and you liked it though, I mean it was meant for you. Wait, you did like it right?" Steven asked, suddenly concerned.

I held back a laugh, " Yes honey, I did enjoy the song, and thanks for showing me. Though I do need you to do something for me..."

I sat on the beach, in the somewhat secluded area, waiting for Pearl to arrive. I flashed a quick look at my phone, it was almost a half-hour past 10. The silence was soon broken by the sound of footsteps coming from behind me. I looked to the back to see Pearl walking up infront of me, a slightly confused look on her face. " Pearl, your here." I said, standing up with a smile.

" Steven said you wanted me to meet you here, but he didn't say why." Pearl replied.

I ran a hand through my hair, somewhat nervous to admit I heard the song and all... " I wanted it to be a surprise, so I asked him to keep it secret." Pearl tilted her head in a quizzical way that I found to be rather endearing.

" What kind of surprise?" She asked.

" I heard your song earlier." I replied, causing Pearl to instantly blush and look away, covering her face with her hand.

"H-how did you hear it?" She asked, stuttering a bit.

" Steven had me on the phone while the two of you practiced it." I admitted, stepping forward. Pearl looked back up, her cheeks a dark teal. " It was really good, though I wish you would have played it for me in person."

" It was supposed to be a surprise." Pearl quickly replied, not as embarrassed as she was just moments before. " So, you did enjoy the song?"

" Of course I did." I replied, taking Pearl's hands in their own. " Did you think I wouldn't?"

" I had my 'many' doubts." Pearl replied, looking down at her hands, still entwined with mine.

" Pearl, I loved your song, it was great." I reassured, letting go of Pearl's hands in favor of tilting her head up so I could see her eyes. I lightly brushed a strand of hair out of Pearl's eyes, my hand resting on her cheek. Pearl gave me a slight smile before I leaned in giving her a kiss on the cheek. It was brief, only lasting a few seconds, and Pearl could feel her cheeks heat up rather quickly. "Your one of my closest FRIENDS and I love you....." I stated, pulling the slender gem into a hug.

" I-I love you too." Pearl said in return sadness dripping off of each of her words, returning the hug, resting her head on my shoulder, reveling in my embrace.

Pearl pulled a brave face and sighed out trying so hard not to be too upset.

" But why did you want me to meet you here?" Pearl asked

" To make it harder for our lil half gem to find us." I said while laughing