Prologue

The Ball Episode.

This chapter will contain highlights of Kiwi (kw1206)'s filler arc of her own Kingdom of Loathing fanfiction.

***

The day I became an adventurer ? I am not sure. Was it the best day of my life ? The worst ? My favorite ? I am not sure anymore. But this is not what interesses you, right ? You want to know how I became today's person, don't you ? Me, Sonja SwiftySwing, the tremendous Seal Clubber ? Alright. Have a seat. Because this story will be the longest I ever had to tell.
It all started at this masked ball.

* * *

Jack, my older brother, and I were invited to the 200th anniversary of the Kingdom's establishment. The guests were invited to come at the Party Hall, Right side of the Tracks, the day after, 5 o'clock.

"Golly, surely a party you don't have to miss !" Jack rejoiced, folding back the letter in three, as it was originally folded.

"Wait, so you're gonna come too ?" I asked in utter astonishment. "What about the shop ?"

"It will be espacially closed for the day," he replied. "Moreoever, we will be disguised there ! Isn't that exacting, Soso ??" (Soso was a nickname only him is allowed to give me.)

"Yeah, sure..." I replied, still skeptical about that party.

"Aww c'mon, sis ! Aren't you just happy to celebrate ? We could even invite pals here, like Zyo or the Shodual twins."

"Yeah, sure. But didn't you see ? There's a theme to the party."

"Well, yeah. Thus we'll be looking for our costumes right away !"

Once Jack was done calling our 'friends' over for the party (they accepted, not so surprisingly), him and I went to the attic, looking for what to wear for the D-day.

"Hm, how about we go see for old clothing ? No matter how old ?" I suggested, out of the blue.

"Oh, couldn't be a bad idea ! Let's see... there's normally a chest where old carnival costumes were used to be."

He said while opening that said chest after a good five minute of researches. Once done, we saw in it two casual cream-colored shirts, along two brown cloaks : one seemingly long and stripped, and the other one being sleeveless, buttonned with gold. There was also a mini-sized top hat, unexpectively brown colored. Now, these were some costumes inspiration.

"Wow, would you look at that, Sonja ! If I remember well... these used to be for the musketeers themed carnival. Remember ? Mom and dad wore these-"

"Don't tell me we're going to wear something already worn ?" I grimaced in cringe.

"Oh, no no ! These were washed, after all... and we'll clean them today too, of course. Now then, how about we go and see what we could do of them ?" Jack paused for a moment, seeking an idea. "... So the theme is a masquerade. Which means we'll have to wear masks."

"Mhm. Perhaps have you got any style in mind ?"

"I've heard of a vibe before, that could match well with our recent discovery."

"Do tell."

"It's about, gears, clocks or such, with a touch of fanciness in the style. If I remember well, it is mostly brown and silver colored."

"Looks like this fit to what we found."

"Indeed ! Although... I find it too blank. We need more things, like gears. I'll see if Isaac would be able to borrow us some."