Chapter 14

Me and My Nemesis
(the first blow)

***

The next morning, I saw that Jack was not home. He probably left without warning me, I told myself. I guided Raven to the Council of Loathing. I quite forgot, due to the last eventful days, to bring them back the crown of the Knob Goblin King that I stole from him. Once I did, Frostbite turned her eyes to my weapon.

''Hey, that's a pretty nice hammer you have !'' she exclaimmed, pointing at my Hammer of Smiting.

''Ah, why thanks,'' I replied, smiling at her. ''I got it smithed. Also, check what I can do.''

I did the ice cube trick again to the Council.

''Wonderful !'' she clapped her hands happily.

''Wonderful indeed, but remember what happened to yourself when you first discovered your ice magic,'' Parmesan retored to her sternly. She rubbed the back of her head, whistling.

''Anyway. Got any quest for me ?''

''Not for now,'' Glamour replied, ''we will call you in case we'll need you.''

My phone rang in the whole room.

''... Haha,'' I started, ''this trick won't work twice on me.''

''I swear, this is any of us,'' Wild rose his hands up. They were empty.

''Must be my guild then. I will let you all go back to duty. Good day to you.''

I bowed to them before closing the door to the Council room. I checked who was calling me : it turned out to be Grignr.

''Hey there, wassup ?''

''Sonja, mind coming to the guild ? After some hard work, our scouts finally got to pinpoint your Nemesises... Nemesees's... gah !'' he cleard his throat before speaking again : ''The hideout of your Nemesis. Come to the guild, so then I'd be able to mark it on your map.''

''Right, I'll come. See you there.''

I hung up then dashed to the Brotherhood, where Grignr marked a cross on a spot where the Big Mountains were.

''It's a cave in the Big Mountains,'' he started (told you), ''It is essential that you recover the stolen artifact as soon as possible, but be wary,'' and he held on my shoulders. ''The place is undoubtely filled with malicious traps and evil guards.''

''Okay, but if it's that dangerous, how about sending some backup along with me ?''

''Ah, well yes, that would be wise,'' he rubbed the back of his head, ''but all the other members of the Brotherhood have their own quests at the moment. I myself have a pressing mission to...'' he looked around then focussed on a window, ''wash those windows. Grod's Beard, look how flithy they've become !''

''... Right,'' I replied to do as if it was nothing.

''Besides,'' he came closer to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder so he'd be able to whisper at me, ''this is between you and your Nemesis. That's a one-on-one struggle, no getting around it. That... is one of the Rules.''