Episode 10, Part 1: Low-Key

"Ugh," Dean groaned, "I hate witches."

"That's the fourth time you've said it this hour," Sam rolled his eyes, "we get it."

I came into the room, bearing gifts.

"Guys. Put down the books and have some food. You've been at it for hours and my brain is hurting just looking at you." I smiled and put the burgers and beers in front of the boys.

"You know, reasearch would take like half the time if you actually helped," Dean asserted.

I hated doing research, and so if I could, I would always work to get out of it. I would usually put on some tight yoga pants, or offer to buy them alcohol. Honestly, I'd do practically anything to get out of spending hours trying to look for information that might not even be there. I'm good with hunting and killing things. Hell, I'm great with stuff like that. But reading boring textbooks or staring at a screen for hours on end? No thank you.

"I just don't get why we can't use the resources we have... You know, that angel we met a couple of days ago? Why can't we bring Cas into this? It'd make things so much easier."

"We don't need to bring Cas into this!" Dean protested loudly.

"Whoa, chill, Mr. Testosterone Powerhouse, all I'm saying is that there's no need for us to waste our time staring at the same five pages trying to find something if we've got another way."

We all heard a flapping sound echo through the room, and with that, Castiel and another angel we haven't met yet appeared.

"I agree, it is unwise to waste your time with such trivial things," Castiel agreed.

"Mmmhmm, yes. We wouldn't want to engage in any frivolous affairs, now would we, Scarlett and Dean?" The other angel donned a shit-eating grin which made Dean and I uncomfortable.

"And you are?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Balthazar," the angel retorted proudly.

"We have come with information that may be of interest to you," Castiel began, "it's about your current case."

"Yeah, it's actually pretty straightforward though. Witches, hex bags, all that stuff. It's nothing that we can't handle ourselves," Dean stated with a touch of attitude.

"Well, if you're actually thick enough to believe that what you're running in circles after is, in fact, a witch, then sure, good luck with that." Balthazar smirked condescendingly. 

"Fine, then," Dean began, "I'll bite. What do you think we're dealing with here?"

Castiel interrupted Balthazar as he began to talk. "It is not a witch. Your current case is that of an ancient god. Loki, the ancient Norse god of trickery, to be precise."

"You're kidding." Sam panted excitedly. 

"I most certainly am not," Castiel argued, "this is a dangerous case for you three to take on by yourselves. I won't let you guys do this on your own."

"Maybe," Balthazar suggested, "we should let them attempt it on their own. Natural selection, perhaps?"

"Why does he even need to be here?" I asked angrily. 

"He is the one who provided me with the information which I previously gave to you. It would not only be impertinent, but quite dishonest to pass on the information as if it were my own."

 "Of course, Cas," Dean started sarcastically, "we'd hate for you to be dishonest." 

Sam smiled, as he always did when Cas said things. I didn't know what was up with that boy, but I swear, he looked at the angel like the sun shined out of his fucking ass.