Two: Walls Of Insincerity

CHAPTER TWO:
𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲

❝ ᴏɴᴇ ᴍᴜꜱᴛ, ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ᴅᴏᴜʙᴛ, ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ʜᴇꜱɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ,
ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴀꜱꜱᴜʀᴀɴᴄᴇ, ᴀᴅᴍɪʀᴇ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪꜱ ʙᴇᴀᴜᴛɪꜰᴜʟ. ❞

✧・゚: - *✧・゚* :・゚- *:・゚✧

"And then I fell on the freaking floor!" 

"And that's considering she only served you water!"

"That's exactly what she said!" 

Hiccup continues to be entertained by my misfortunes like the good friend he was, scooping up the almost burnt patty from the fryer to the sliced open buns. The smell seemed to have its own hands with the way it was pulling me in.

"Ketchup or mayo?" he asks the customer in front of him with a warm smile I and the customers in Aurora Creek have grown quite accustomed to.

It's hard to believe he was a complete anti-social back then. Lad couldn't articulate a conversation to save his life. Not to mention his awkward sense of humor. Now, look at the bastard! I guess that's what happens when you grow up and get jobs... something I'm still struggling with.

"Both, please! And make it a lot. D-don't ask..." It was a young lad. He had bright spikey blonde hair all raised to the sky like a rice field during summertime. He sports round glasses that really made his eyes stand out.

"I think I already now, Lewis." Hiccup chuckles.

The 'Lewis' lad's eyes widen, and he hushes Hiccup. His cheeks start to blush in embarrassment as red as the ketchup he ordered.

"Alright, alright!"

All this talk of blonde hair and red cheeks....

Porcelain.

I prayed it won't be our last.

"A-and her hair! Duuude." I released a long and dreamy sigh like some kind of high school girl whose heartthrob crush just made eye contact with her in the locker-filled hallways.

I never would've thought I'd act this way, especially not for someone I'd find an interest in romantically. But here I am, making googly puppy dog eyes as I vent to a friend. Pathetic! I suppose that's what jobs and having a crush both have in common: changing people.

The brunette sets down the warm burgers in an oil absorbing wrapper before placing them gently in a brown paper bag and handing them to Lewis. He looked like a mother giving her kids their lunch for school.

He most definitely will. I bet my lucky sneakers he'd be a great dad. And mom, too— I don't know. I'm not really a hundred percent sure who wears the pants in Jack and Hiccup's relationship. Who cares? Labels are overrated.

"Thank you, come again!" 

Before I could say 'gay,' the counter from the burger stand I was resting my arms on quickly shook with a loud bump, coming into contact with the metal underneath similar to how I would bump my forehead against a wall as I walk down the stairs of our house.

"Ow." a familiar voice says.

"Afternoon, Freddy." Hiccup greets him unphased, not even the least bit surprised of his co-worker's unorthodox entrance.

From below the said counter, there slowly stood up a sleepy-looking Fredzilla in his signature green beanie and the same uniform as Hiccup. He massages his temple, with his eyes still shut tight. When he slowly started to open them, he yells— "Gah! Too bright!" and shielded his face in protection when the sun's mighty rays punched him in the face.