Fourteen: Summertime Sadness

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

❝ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴀᴅɴᴇꜱꜱ ᴡɪʟʟ ʟᴀꜱᴛ ꜰᴏʀᴇᴠᴇʀ. ❞

✧・゚: - *✧・゚* :・゚- *:・゚✧

Mum hit Dad on the arm and laughed like his life depended on it, driving me to glare at him like my life was on the line as well.

Seriously? I almost tore my hair off. I mentally wrote a list approximately fifty reasons why we should stay at Aurora Creek and, for extra measure, formulated a plan involving Jack and Hiccup creating a dummy robot that will take my place as Mum and Dad's daughter while they move out of town forever without them noticing any differences.

"Dad!" This is getting too much of an emotional rollercoaster even for a nineteen-year-old.

Angus appeared out of nowhere and started barking at us. He snarled the loudest at Dad especially. I picked him up to caress his fur and whisper, "I agree, Angus. Lying about moving is the lowest form of humor." 

I've had enough jokes, universe. 

"Ye should've seen the look on yer face!" Dad held on to his belly like a Christmas saint. He thinks his joke is the best thing since sliced bread. 

I put Angus down before he pisses all over Tooth's cleavage dress. "So, just to be clear, we're not moving, aye?" For all I know, Dad could just be laughing at my reaction, but the moving thing was still on regardless.

"Goodness, no, dear. Yer Dad and I have been working here for a decade now. Do you think we're just going to throw that away?" 

Thank the stars.

Although, I'm pretty curious to see what would have happened if we did have to move. That Merida robot future sounded intriguing to me. Might also ask Lewis for help too.

"As I've mentioned, I got you a job!" I still couldn't process the absurdity of the fact that my own mother got a job... for me. "You know that wee coffee shop near the park across town? Teana's?"

Teana's?! 

"Well, the owner, Tiana, was actually one of my students before. We stumbled upon each other on my way home, got talkin', and told me she needed a few helping hands so, naturally, I volunteered you!" Mum's been in such a good mood recently. It was fantastic, but it's giving me a whiplash.

"T-thanks, Mum." 

"You start tomorrow morning!" My tired eyes bulged out of my droopy sockets.

"I'm hired?! N-no callbacks or interviews or even a resume?"

"Already covered!" She can do that? "I told you; Tiana needs her helping hands as soon as possible. She didn't hesitate to take you."

This Tiana must be terrified of my mother to be able to do a hasty hiring. She was her student before after all, it wasn't too far-fetched of a theory!

"But I know nothing about coffee or mugs or nothing!" 

"Tiana's at the top of in her class, the personification of hard work. She'll shape ye into a barista in no time!" with that, she tucks a piece of hair behind my ear and gave the top of my head a kiss.