Not so Wonderful Life

The next hour was a complete blur for Ariana. It seemed like one moment she was outside talking to Luke and the next she was sitting in the emergency room. After Dianna had come outside, they had rushed back inside the house to see most of the party guests gathering around in a circle. In the middle of the circle lay Jai sprawled out on the floor. Ariana was at his side immediately, Gina was next to her, and her parents were holding her screaming daughters while Beau was on the phone calling 911. Gina explained to Ariana that Jai had been talking one moment and was on the floor the next, in the midst of having a seizure. The paramedics arrived shortly after and rushed Jai to the nearest hospital. Ariana, Beau, Gina, Joan, Edward, Frankie, Dianna and Luke all followed in a few cars. Needless to say the party was over, Miley and Zac stayed at the house to watch the children.

"He's been in there for a while," Ariana said as she looked up to the clock for the millionth time.

"I know, I just wish someone would tell us what is going on," Gina said as she squeezed her daughter in law's hands.

"He's going to be ok, Jai is so strong," Joan told Ariana, she was on the other side of her daughter, rubbing her back, attempting to comfort her.

"Mrs. Brooks," a doctor in blue scrubs walked into the waiting room.

"Yes," Ariana stood up as fast as she could for being nine months pregnant, as did everyone else.

"I'm Dr. Cole," the older man replied. "I was one of the attendings on call this evening when your husband was brought in."

"How's my husband? What's wrong with him?" Ariana quickly asked, all she wanted was to know that Jai was going to be ok.

"I'm afraid that Mr. Brooks is suffering from a ruptured brain aneurysm," Dr. Cole stated as everyone gasped. Beau immediately wrapped his mother in his arms.

All alone, Ariana felt her knees buckle beneath her as her mother helped her back into her chair, fearing that she couldn't stand on her own.

"Are you alright Mrs. Brooks?" Dr. Cole asked, noticing just how pregnant she was, it looked like she could deliver any day now.

"A brain aneurysm?" Ariana questioned, trying desperately to fight back her tears. "I don't...I don't understand, he's so young and so healthy."

"Sometimes these things just happen," Dr. Cole replied as he patted her shoulder.

The nerve of this quack, Ariana thought, she controlled herself from slapping his smug little face. "Is he going to be ok?"

"We're prepping him for surgery right now," Dr. Cole explained. "Dr. Cohen will be performing the procedure, he's one of the top five neurosurgeons in the country, and your husband will be in great hands. I'm going to have a nurse take you to the surgery waiting room where Dr. Cohen will speak to you briefly about Mr. Brooks' surgery."

"Thank you Dr. Cole," Beau said as he held Gina closely, Ariana was unable to speak, still shocked from the news that Jai had a brain aneurysm.

The group of family and close friend was speechless at the news. How could someone as young and healthy as Jai have a brain aneurysm. It just didn't make any sense to them. Shortly after Dr. Cole's departure, a nurse took the very sad group up to the surgical waiting room. They were quickly briefed by the neurosurgeon, Dr. Cohen, before he rushed off to surgery. They all had unanswered questions but the doctor told them that every minute counted and he couldn't waste more time than necessary.

"Look at her," Dianna said sadly as she watched her best friend stare blankly out the window. "She's been like that for over an hour now."

"I know," Luke replied. "Maybe you should talk to her."