Epilogue - 5

Ariana woke up quite startled with drops of sweat rolling down her face. She looked around, happy to know that she was still in her bedroom but her dream had really frightened her.

"Ari?" Jai rubbed her back, he'd just come up to bed after watching a game downstairs. "You had the dream again, didn't you?"

Ariana nodded, trying her hardest not to cry. "It's getting worse this time. We had to bury you at the end right before I woke up."

"Honey I'm sorry," Jai wrapped his arms around his wife.

"Jai it feels so real," Ariana just couldn't help it as the tears finally began to roll down her cheeks. "I'm so afraid that I'm going to lose you."

"Ari, I'm not going anywhere," Jai kissed away her tears. "I'm right here and I'm fine."

"You don't know that Jai," Ariana sniffled.

"Ari I feel just fine, I'm not sick or anything."

"But these things sneak up on you...," Ariana trailed off. "I just...Jai, I'm so worried."

"Do you want me to go to the doctor?"

"Would you?" Ariana asked hopefully.

"If it would ease your mind then yes."

"Thank you," Ariana snuggled into Jai. "I would really feel a lot better knowing that you're perfectly healthy."

"Good," Jai kissed her cheek. "Think you can get some sleep?"

"I'll try," sleeping in Jai's arms always did wonders for Ariana.

+=+=+=+=+

The next morning, Jai made an appointment with his doctor for later that afternoon. Since he was Jai Brooks, basketball star, he didn't have any problems making such a last minute appointment. He wanted to get it out of the way as soon as possible for Ariana's sake. Plus their families and friends would be coming in the next week or so to celebrate Christmas and he didn't want his 'health' hanging over their heads. Ariana, of course, decided to accompany him so she would have proof that her husband was alright. The past few weeks had been grueling on Ariana, every night she had that same nightmare that Jai died. It had been years since Ariana had even paid that old dream any thought but then suddenly it appeared one night and it was back with a vengeance. Instead of all of the great family moments, it only started with the loud beeping machines signaling the stop of Jai's heart.

"Hi Mom," Jai greeted his mother and welcomed her into his home.

"Hi honey," Gina kissed her son's cheek and he took her coat into the closet. "Where are the girls?"

"Caitlin is coloring in the family room and Ariana is putting Kenzie down for her afternoon nap. Thanks for coming over so last minute."

"Not a problem honey, you know how much I love my granddaughters."

"Hi Gina," Ariana smiled at her mother-in-law as she descended the stairs.

"Hi Ariana, how are you feeling?" Gina asked her very pregnant daughter in-law.

"Hanging in there," Ariana laughed as she finally joined the two in the foyer.

"One more month to go," Jai grinned. "Which is why we've got some shopping to do," Jai lied to his mother, not wanting her to know where they were actually going. His mother would probably worry just as much as Ariana.

"Yeah I don't think this little guy," Ariana patted her belly, "would appreciate his sister's hand me downs."

"Not at all," Gina chuckled. "Well you two go ahead; I've got everything under control."