𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 11

"what?" i say propping my arms up on my elbows.

"you heard me Z." Mariano says playing around with the bed sheets.

"i-i, i don't know." i say rubbing my fingers across my temples.

"imma give your dad my heart." Mariano says firmly.

"you can't." i say hesitantly.

"your dads life is at stake and you could do so any thing to save him, you have a good solid option and you wont take it. He's the only person you have left Zara."

" but, i can't let you do this . It would mean I'm losing the both of you." i say shaking uncontrollably.

"its better to have one alive than both, dead. Plus, Im dying anyway." Mar concedes.

i burst into tears, and my face becomes extremely hot. i burry my face in my palms trying to swallow my sobs. "No," i tremble, "No, i don't want you to die Mar, you both can leave i-"

Mar slides his hand hesitantly behind my head, grasping the base of my neck. "shh," he whispers, pulling me into his chest as i sob on his skin. "if i give your dad my heart, at least a piece of me will still be there for you when I'm gone," he says pulling back, running his thumb under my eyes, "honestly, i can't think of another way to leave a part of me behind for you."

"Mar-"

"I would rather have my heart beating and staying right by your side than having it cold and dead. Right?" he gives me a soft smile, rare.

"let me do this for you Zara, you need your dad. I want my heart to keep loving you."

I tilt my head to his chest an listen to his still heart beat. i squeeze my eyes shut and force my self to make a decision.

---

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐎'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"excuse me, do you know if I'm able to donate my organs after my death sentence?"

Bill, the officer, shoots me a funny look.

"why don't you fill in a form and talk to the officers in charge?" he turns and walks away.

"Wait," i say getting more and more pressed against the bars of my cell. "Ive applied for an organ donation, you can check my drivers license. This is urgent," i say pausing for a moment, "please?"

"do you know who the recipricantt of the organ is, is it specific?"

I nod.

"which organ do you need to donate?"

i swallow hard, "my heart."

"Look here son," he says sighing and handing me forms to fill out so that i can talk to the officer in charge.

"If I'm not mistaken, your execution is supposed to be done by lethal injection. this causes cardiac arrest, that means your heart will die. Hanging causes brain death, but the heart is still sustained afterwards. The only solution to your problem is to change your execution method, from lethal injection to hanging"

my heart picks up speed.

"A-alright, then tell them to hang me."

fuck .