15 Onboard Artemis

Song for the mood: Cake by the Ocean by DNCE. A snippet of the lyrics:

You're a real-life fantasy
But you're moving so carefully
Let's start living dangerously

Vera

One week later

"I'm glad you could join me on my boat today," Alistair announced as I sat on one of the deck chairs of his luxury yacht, surrounded by the brilliant azure ocean.

"You had some nerve calling my boss to get to me," I hissed, narrowing my eyes at him. "Did you know that he stood by my side and waited for his phone back after he'd passed it to me?"

Alistair removed his gold-framed Ray-Ban Aviator sunglasses from his chiseled face and placed them on the table. "I had to get through to you, sweetheart. You weren't returning my calls or messages."

Rolling my eyes, I shook my head. "Yeah well, I had to say yes to your invite for today, knowing that you and Brenton are friends and he'd skewer me alive if I'd said no. Thanks for embarrassing me at work."

"Thanks for giving me a chance to talk."

"I need to know the truth about my brother and your ex-wife."

"Do you know that you're the first lawyer I've slept with?" Alistair revealed, laughing at his admission.

"And what's your point?"

"Well, you're not afraid to speak your mind. God, I love a real woman!"

"And I love a real man, but I haven't found him yet. I want you to cut the bullshit and be honest with me."

Alistair's eyes softened as he took my hand. "I'm going to be upfront about my ex-wife."

"Go ahead. Speak."

"Firstly, I am spending more time with my son. Secondly, Saira and I are in a custody battle over him. Even with the recent events, my ex-wife's lawyers have convinced the judge that she's an adequate mother. She has her fingers in every pot in this city, including the police department."

He wrinkled his forehead and pressed his lips. "There's something corrupt with the world. I stopped being an idealist a long time ago."

"I'm sorry." I squeezed his hand tightly.

"Don't be." Alistair's fingers lifted my chin. "I'm going to tell you a few things that you may not want to hear."

"I can handle the truth."

"My ex-wife will go after you when Julian decides he wants to end whatever type of contract he's got with her. Saira has destroyed not just people but their families too. She seems flawless, but don't let appearances fool you. She's dangerous."

"How does she treat people, Scotty?"

"Before our divorce, I visited one of her establishments. Her sex workers were abused and mistreated. A few had contracted sexually transmitted infections that aren't curable. They were bold enough to ask me for help."

"Oh, shit." I sucked in a deep breath, then exhaled.

"Exactly. After buying her share, I revamped the club and gave payouts to those who were infected. I couldn't have them working for me because they'd put others at risk. Think of clients with wives, partners, and families."

"The business. Is that The Church?"

"Bingo. I suspect that Saira paid officials to keep a blind eye while she continued her dirty business. Things are different under my management these days. My employees have health insurance and fair wages."