43 Live for love

Song for the mood: Exist for Love by Aurora. A snippet of the lyrics:

And then I learned the truth
How everything good in life seems to lead back to you
And every single time I run into your arms
I feel like I exist for love

Vera

"Alistair, we're getting help! An ambulance is on its way," Constable Fraser assured, kneeling by his side.

"Scotty, speak to me!" I pleaded. I was about to unbutton his shirt to see the wound when he placed his warm hand on mine.

He groaned, then smiled wearily. "Sweetheart, did I ever tell you that I love you?

"All the time," I replied, holding onto hope. "I love you too, darling."

"Alistair, how are you feeling?" The police officer asked. Loose strands of her dark curly hair, which was hastily tied in a bun, fell on her face when she lowered her head to examine him.

"Well, I'm in shock and pain right now, Constance. But why were you and Frank late?" Alistair asked, gazing at the officer.

"We got here as fast as we could, but the traffic at this time of the year is horrendous, even when we used the siren," Constance said, referring to the masses of people driving into town for their Christmas shopping.

"Where are you hurt?" I questioned, searching Alistair's eyes. I was not ready to lose him; I needed him alive.

"Do you trust me?" he asked, attempting to grin before wincing in pain.

"Yes, I trust you, Scotty," I answered, squeezing his hand as my heart bled for him.

"Alistair, can you show me where the pain is?" Constance asked.

He pointed at his lower chest and nodded at me as I began to unbutton his shirt.

Why wasn't he bleeding where the bullet tore through his shirt?

"My God!" I gasped.

A white concealed vest revealed itself to me after I unbuttoned his shirt and pushed the fabric aside. The bullet had lodged itself in his bullet-resistant vest, which hugged his slim frame.

"That bullet sure knocked me out," Alistair quipped, looking down his chest.

The officer helped me to slowly remove his shirt and his bullet-lodged vest while he winced in pain.

"I'll be fine, but I'm going to have a helluva bruising," he said.

"How did you know that you needed it?" I asked, glancing at the vest.

"I wasn't sure how Holly planned to kill me, so I didn't take risks," he replied, squeezing my hand with assurance.

"You amaze me, do you know that, Scotty?" I sighed, crying with relief. My heart rose again, filled with hope, as I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself," Alistair admitted. "This vest is so effective that the security forces trust it. It's pricey, but it's as good as invisible."

"Oh, thank God!" I cried, peppering his forehead, cheek, jawline, and lips with sweet kisses. "Thank God you'll be okay, Scotty! You have no idea how much I love you."

"Oh, I think I do." Glints of green flashed from his angelic eyes as his cheeky half-grin broke into a soft, low chuckle.

"I will never doubt that you love me," I swore. "I will always trust you, and I will always love you."