40 The viper's lair

Song for the mood: Joke's On You by Charlotte Lawrence. A snippet of the lyrics:

God knows I've tried to be kind
But I won't just lay down and die
Wearin' a fake smile
The joke's on you

Vera

Lester Harbor Women's Correctional Facility, Sunday, December 23

I hated the stinging brightness of fluorescent lights in a closed room with no windows.

Feeling confined by the white, bare walls that screamed captivity, my eyes flickered at the correctional officer standing near the door. My muscles tensed, and my stomach twisted into an ugly knot.

I stared at the woman who sat across from me at the table.

Saira Quinn narrowed her eyes and snarled. Her once flawless face was pale like sour milk. Silver roots emerged from the crown of her head, marring her usually perfect snow-blonde hair, now dry and lifeless. She looked nothing like her former self on the magazine covers.

I smiled at the vicious bitch. "Hello, Saira."

"Why, if it isn't my ex-husband's whore!" Saira spat, then hissed, "How's life? Has Alistair given you any special gifts yet? Herpes? Gonorrhea? HPV? You know he loves whores, and you won't be the last."

I laughed at her bullshit, not hiding my contempt. "Your ex-husband has never cheated on me because he loves me more than you'll ever know. By the way, how is life treating you? Do you like your new home?"

"I may be in this rathole, but I still have eyes and ears outside these walls, and they're watching you," Saira threatened, not giving a damn about the officer in the room.

"I'm not afraid of your threats," I answered indifferently, crossing my legs.

Brushing a piece of lint off my sweater, I asked, "Did you ever think orange was your color? It suits you. Quite flattering. But it's not quite Tiffany, is it?"

"Oh, you like trinkets from Tiffany?" Saira leaned closer toward me. "Tell me. Did Alistair buy that necklace for you? Did he take you on a lover's trip to Manhattan? It's the same necklace he bought every woman before you," Saira replied, seething with hate. "I wonder who he's fucking now. Maybe one of my girls."

I clapped my hands slowly. "Well done! You are a superb liar. This necklace is a new collection piece, and it's one of a kind, like no other, just like Alistair. He's an incredible lover and a loyal one. He wasn't like that with you, was he?"

"I hate you and your family. You know, I enjoyed every moment of fucking up your brother's life," she taunted.

"He's not ruined, Saira. He's not sitting behind bars. You are. Just remember that."

"I loved him once! I loved Julian!" She beat her heart with her fist. "You bitch! You and that snake, Sapphire, took everything away from me! My money, my businesses, my son, the men I loved-and my freedom!"

"You've got it wrong, Saira."

"Oh?" Her eyes blinked in disbelief.

"You're the snake. It is a rather pleasant visit, isn't it?" I smiled, then lowered my voice. "You fuck with my family, and I fuck with you. Perhaps you and I are one of a kind."

"When I get out of here, you should watch your back. I will destroy you and make your life hell!"

I shook my head and laughed at her empty threat. Empty, just like her. "You already tried, Saira, and you failed."

"What do you want?" Saira sneered, slitting her eyes like a viper.

"I want answers." I tapped the table three times.