27 You look beautiful tonight

Song for the mood: Please Don't Touch by Raye. A snippet of the lyrics:

But please don't touch me
If you don't mean it
The space between our skin saying more than enough
But once you've laid a finger, it can't be undone

Vera

Saturday afternoon, March 18

"Vee? Are you there?" Saph's voice shrilled from the other end of the phone.

"I'm here, sweetie. What's up?" I asked, yawning loudly.

"Did I wake you up? You sound sleepy."

"Yeah, I was napping."

"Oh, you're such a lioness!" Saph chuckled.

"Mmm, indeed," I murmured.

"Vee, wait for it..."

"Oh, quit the suspense! Just spill it."

"I'm a little nervous telling you this," Saph gushed.

"For crying out loud, just say it!"

"I slept with your brother!"

"Oh, okay-wait a minute! What?"

"My boss donated a big sum of money on behalf of an anonymous philanthropist to the university's archaeology department for a fundraising campaign," Saph babbled. "I was asked to handle the public relations and attend the fundraiser dinner last night. Well, guess who was there?"

"Who?"

"Julian!"

"Okay, I want the short version of your story. I don't need to hear all the details," I said.

"At first, Julian and I started arguing, but then he kissed me, and then-"

"Skip that part, please!"

"Well, I've got huge love bites on my neck, and I'm feeling a little sore from-"

"Get to the point, Saph. What's the story with you two?"

"I'm seeing him again."

"Oop, I've got another call coming through, babe! I need to take this one, but I'm so happy for you both!" I squealed, listening to my friend bubble in excitement.

After ending the call with Saph, I heard the other caller's deep voice. "Vee!"

"Jules! You sound like you're in a good mood. What's up?"

"Oriental lilies, orchids, or roses?"

"Huh?"

"I'm in a florist's shop, and I need your help. I'm buying flowers to give to a special woman tomorrow."

"Buy a bouquet of roses with different colors. They're romantic, and Saph likes a variety of colors."

"Who said I was getting them for Saph?"

"I already know, bro," I said. "Get her the roses."

"Thanks, Vee!"

"Oop, I've got to go," I chirped, hearing the beeps of an incoming call.

I hung up on Jules and took the call. It was probably Saph again.

"Hey, Saph-"

"Saph?" A gruff voice boomed like a foghorn.

"Brenton, what can I do for you?" I asked.

"The Scott family is hosting a special event this evening to raise funds for Saint Luke's Cathedral. Alistair called, inviting a representative from our firm to attend the event. Unfortunately, it's my wedding anniversary, and I've made plans with my wife tonight. I'd like you to attend the fundraiser in my place."