31 Master of secrets

Media box above: A little thank you from me for sticking with this story. It means a lot. Song for the mood: You pick. Any recommendations?

Vera

Calligraphy café, Friday evening, June 16

"Is this for me?" I stared at the beautiful teal-blue blouse that I had just unwrapped.

Saph nodded, eyeing the dress while tracing her finger on the coffee table.

"You didn't have to do this," I said, admiring the gift from my best friend.

"I saw it at a shop, and I thought of you," she replied.

"I'll wear it on my next date."

"Are you dating again?"

"You betcha!" I grinned.

"Well, I'm glad you've gotten your mojo back!" Saph exclaimed. "Is it serious?"

"No," I lied. I wanted to tell Saph about Alistair, but she and Julian had enough on their plate with their baby plans and the morning sickness she was experiencing. What was I supposed to say?

Saph, I'm sleeping with Alistair Scott, your worst enemy Saira Quinn's ex-husband. He's the father of her son, by the way.

Yeah, that'll go down well, right? I would tell her and Julian about Alistair when the timing was right, but right now, I didn't want to rock the boat-it was still fragile.

"Julian should be finished with work and joining us soon," I said, glancing around the café for a third chair.

Saph nodded, then turned to a woman at the next table. "Excuse me. I noticed you're not using the other chair. Do you mind if I take it? We've got someone joining us."

The woman stared at Saph and coolly replied, "No. The chair is taken."

"Yeah, right, taken by her Prada bag," I hissed at the woman, who ignored me.

Changing the subject, I turned to Saph. "For the love of God, don't tell Julian I'm dating again."

"Why not?"

"He may be sweet around you, but he's an ogre when it comes to my love life. Did he ever tell you that he made his own 'Ten Commandments of Dating' for me when I was in high school?"

"Oh? Do tell!"

"I'm not going to delve into the details."

"Julian cares for you, Vee. Remember Ace?"

I winced, remembering that Saph had stood in the firing line, rescuing me from the abuse, and called Jules to deal with Ace. I would have had more than a scar on my ear if it weren't for Saph.

"Thank you," I said, touching her hand. "You're the sister I never had."

"I'm glad that we met!" Saph's eyes beamed.

"Likewise!" I smiled. My eyes darted to the gluten-free jam doughnut on Saph's plate. My kale salad tasted...well, bland.

"Do you want some? Here, try a piece." Saph offered a chunk of her doughnut.

I took the piece, stuffed it in my mouth, and enjoyed the sweetness of the treat. Saph removed her scarf to adjust her blouse, revealing love bites all over her neck. Shit, those hickeys were ugly!

I raised my eyebrows at her ravaged neck and tipped, "You'd better put that scarf back on, hon."

"Is it that bad?" Saph grimaced.