38 No mercy

The painting above, Pollice verso (with a turned thumb), is an 1872 painting by French artist Jean-Léon Gérôme, featuring the eponymous Roman gesture directed to the winning gladiator.

Song for the mood: Not Afraid by Eminem. A snippet of the lyrics:

I'm not afraid
To take a stand
Come take my hand
We'll walk this road together, through the storm
Whatever weather, cold or warm.

Vera

"So, you've got a plan?" Saph quizzed.

"Yep!" I grinned, flashing my white teeth.

"You're seriously a badass. Will Saira fall for it?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Look, all you have to do is call her. Today! Tell her that you need to meet her to talk about Julian. You know how to put on a good performance-act like you need her. She's a narcissistic bitch, according to Alistair."

"And when am I supposed to meet her?"

"Next week. There's a café at the domestic airport, and that's where you'll meet her."

"That place is a dive!"

"You'd better humble up, missy! You're David, and she's Goliath, and you've got just one stone in that slingshot of yours to get it right."

"Hmm. One stone, one shot only," Saph mused.

"That's right. Let her think she's better than you. That's the only way you're going to win."

"Wouldn't a café in town be better?"

"No. You'll need Alistair's private jet to take her on a trip she's never going to forget."

"Like get her to fly on a plane? Are you fucking insane? Leaving me alone in a jet with Saira?" Saph rolled her eyes and palmed her face. "Oh, Lord, help me!"

Looking up, she muttered, "This is not going to work. I don't think Saira will meet with me."

I groaned, then leaned forward. "Listen up, Saph. No offense, but you're a pebble stuck in her shoe, and she wants to get rid of you as far as she can throw you."

"Meaning?"

"She'll meet with you. She wants to see you beg, and she wants to watch your face crumble as she tries to crush you."

Saph shook her head, a movement I stopped by placing my palms on the sides of her cheeks. My heart leapt when I stared into her baby-blue eyes. I understood why my brother was bewitched.

"Believe me, Saira will say yes," I assured. "Trust me, right now, she wants to see you broken. She's like a cat wanting to hunt and play with her prey, and that prey is you. She's waiting for you to crawl to her, begging to be left alone. Allude to that. Play along with it."

"Then what happens?"

I gazed at Saph and explained, "Jules has already put in the hard work. His written statement about Saira's role in the rape and her illegal activities is in good hands. The police will search her home on the day you take her inside the jet."

Saph's mouth began to open, but I continued before she could speak. "As I said, meet her at the café. Pull a few tears; you're a good actress."

Saph chuckled. "You think?"

"Sure, sweetie. You can do this."

She nodded, and I placed my hand on hers. "After you beg her to stop her games, tell her that Julian is arriving from a short flight and insinuate that he wants to see her, to make peace. I'll tell you which gate to take her to. Let her think that you're leading her to Jules. Trust me; she'll want to see my brother because she's obsessed with him."