Ch. 7

May 16, 1996

"Thanks again, Gabriel." Emilie said as she twirled around in her sparkling blue gown. Her hair was down and curled, and a wide smile was on her face

"And for the millionth time don't mention it." He said with an exasperated smile. Jane looked pretty in her red dress, and Natalie looked equally attractive in her purple one. Gabriel was wearing a tailored suit he had made himself.

"You did an amazing job." Natalie told him.

He smiled. "Thanks, Natalie."

"Well, let's go ahead and dance already! That is the whole reason we came here, right?" Emilie said.

The friends laughed and walked onto the dance floor. They took turns showing off their moves, and most of the time it resulted in fits of laughter. The music was extremely loud, but they hardly seemed to notice. A boy walked by and waved to them. They waved back, and the minute he disappeared Jane dragged Natalie away.

Gabriel and Emilie were left alone on the dance floor. "Do you want to go outside?" He asked her.

She nodded. "Sure." They walked outside and sat on one of the benches in the school gardens.

"What'd they go run off for?" Gabriel asked.

"Natalie and Jane? Probably went to go talk about that boy."

"And you didn't go with them?"

"I don't follow them around all the time. Besides, Natalie and Jane are best friends. I'm sure they want some time alone every once in a while." Emilie said.

"Oh. Who's your best friend?" Gabriel asked. She looked up at him and searched his eyes.

"You. Don't you feel the same way?"

Gabriel looked at her and nodded. "Yes. Maybe..." He trailed off.

"Maybe what?" She inquired.

"Maybe even a little more."

She smiled and turned to the garden. "You see those trees?" She asked him suddenly. He looked to where she was pointing and saw some willow trees.

"Yeah."

"That's another separate garden. I like to go there when I'm doing homework or just thinking. You know something?" She looked up at him.

"Hmm?"

She looked back at the garden. "I like to call it the Willow the Wisp Garden. It's an Irish folk story my Mum used to tell me, and for some reason the garden reminds me of it."

Gabriel stood. "Well, would you like to show me?" He offered her his hand, and she took it. They walked to the other garden. Gabriel opened the wooden gate and it creaked open. They walked into the garden, and Gabriel had to admit it was beautiful. Willow trees were scattered around, and their long leaves hung down like streamers. There was a lampost in the middle of the garden that cast a soft glow. Fireflies flew around, and they made the scene look magical.

"It is beautiful." Gabriel said. He looked at her and couldn't stop himself from smiling. "Would you like to dance?" He asked.

"Sure." He pulled her close, and they began to sway under the willow trees. She hummed a pleasant tune that soon became their song. They danced and danced; neither of them could stop smiling or gazing into each other's eyes.

"Emilie?" Gabriel said softly after a while.

"Yeah?"

"I need to tell you something." He took a deep breath. "Emilie, you've become my inspiration, and I don't know what I would do without you." He tucked a loose piece of her hair behind her ear. "I guess what I'm trying to say is, well, I love you, Emilie."

She smiled. "I love you too, Gabriel." He leaned down, and she leaned closer to him; their lips touched. He pulled her closer, and her hands went up around his neck. When he pulled away he whispered in her ear. "I love you."

"I love you too." She rested her head on his shoulder, and they danced.