Ch. 22

"'It has been a month since Emilie went into a coma. Natalie and I have tried everything we can think of to save her, but it's hopeless. Even Nooroo and Duusu don't know what to do. I had to tell Adrien that Emilie died. He was so devastated. It's awful, but it's hard for me to look at Adrien. He reminds me so much of Emilie, and everytime I see him my heart aches in a thousand different places.

"'I can hear people whispering about it, about Emilie, and I can't stand it anymore. I've been offered a contract in Paris, so I think I'll have to return. I've already bought a house there. It's much bigger than our apartment here, more like a mansion really. Natalie agreed to my offer. She's going to move there with us and be my secretary and help take care of Adrien. She's an amazing friend. While I'm not working, I've decided that I'll find a way to heal Emilie. I haven't figured out how I will, but I will; maybe my miraculous can help. Emilie, I just want you to know that I love you, and I will save you. I promise. With love, Gabriel.'"

Adrien closed the diary and stared at the wall. Marinette gaped at the diary in his hands.

"My dad is Hawk Moth." He whispered.

"Adrien..." Marinette had no idea what to say. He shook his head.

"I'm related to a supervillain. I knew he was bad, but I never thought."

"Adrien, it will be okay." She tried.

Adrien stood angrily. "How! How is it going to be okay, Marinette! My Dad is a supervillain. I've lived with him my whole life, and I never knew!"

"No one could possibly have known that."

"Natalie knew, and so did my Mom." He argued.

"But he told them."

"Natalie knew from the start that something was off; she just didn't know what! I never thought, not once, that anything was out of the ordinary." He sat back down in despair, resting his face in his hands.

"Hey, it's going to be okay." Marinette whispered as she laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. "We'll figure this out, together."

Adrien looked at her with his tear filled green eyes; it broke Marinette's heart. "I'm glad I have you, Marinette." He leaned down and laid his head on her lap, his feet rested on the other end of the couch.

Marinette was surprised, but she didn't move or push him away. If it were me he'd be there, and I'm not about to leave a friend in need.

Marinette laid her hand on his arm. "We'll figure this out." She repeated. Adrien was quiet for a while before he voiced his worst fear.

"What if I become like him?" He whispered. Marinette shook her head.

"You are not your father, Adrien."

"Not yet."

"Not ever." She countered. "You aren't going to turn into him."

Adrien sat up and looked at her. "He became all of this for Mom. He did this because he loved her. Who says I wouldn't do that if something happened to the woman I love?" He gazed at her with such intensity that she had to look away.

"All I'm trying to say is, we never know what drastic lengths we'd go to to prevent something from happening, or fix something, or whatever it is."

"You do know your boundaries though." Marinette countered. "If you are on a mission, you can decide whether or not to kill for what you need. You can decide the dangers you are willing to face."

"I suppose."

"Then create boundaries for yourself, Adrien. Know when to draw the line. Learn from your father's mistakes. You don't have to become him. You have your morals; stay true to them."

Adrien was quiet for a moment. "I suppose you're right." He laid down again, and Marinette stroked his hair.

"You are stronger than your father, Adrien. I believe in you."

"Thanks, Marinette."

They stayed like that for a while, neither one of them knew how long, but deep inside they both knew that they needed each other, and that's all that mattered.