Ch. 8

May 18, 1997

"You two are dating? Talk about power couple of the year!" Jane shouted. They were eating lunch in the cafeteria, and a few nearby heads swiveled their way and started whispering.

"Not so loudly!" Gabriel said.

"Why, it's not like it's a secret." Emilie pointed out.

"Yeah, but I hate attention." Gabriel slunk down in his chair. Emilie playfully punched him.

"What do you think, Natalie?" She asked her a moment later. Natalie shrugged.

"You do seem happy." She offered. Emilie smiled.

"Yeah."

**********************

June 2, 1999

Emilie, Gabriel, Jane, and Natalie stood together and smiled as Mr. O'Connor snapped their picture.

"I'm so proud of you guys!" He said as he hugged them. It was graduation day, and Emilie and Gabriel had all gotten their diplomas. There were tearful congratulations as parents hugged their kids, and Mrs. O'Connor was congratulating her Emilie with happy words and bear hugs. Gabriel looked around the clearing.

"Friends, selfie time!" Jane shouted, snapping him out of his trance. They all got in, and Mr. O'Connor photo bombed at the last second.

"Dad!" Emilie laughed. Mr. O'Connor shrugged innocently. Natalie and Gabriel started laughing as Jane and Emilie gave their father a hard time.

"Okay, okay! I surrender!" Mr. O'Connor shouted. "Now, why don't we go get some lunch. I've heard there's a very good cafe not far from here."

They all started walking away, but Gabriel lingered a moment longer, his gray eyes searching the many faces. He felt a gentle hand on his shoulder, and he turned around and found Emilie.

"You coming?" She asked. He nodded.

"Hey, don't be upset. It's a big day. You are finally a fashion designer!"

He smiled. "Yeah, I just wish they had come."

Her vivid green eyes turned solemn. "No matter what happens, just know one thing. I'm proud of you." She leaned up and her gentle lips kissed his cheek. "Let's go get some lunch. I'm starved." She held his hand and gently pulled him away from the happy crowd.