Ch. 20

June 8, 2010

"You two big boys ready to go?" Emilie asked with a smile.

"Yes!" Adrien said, his sun hat tilting as his head bobbed up and down. Emilie bent over and tightened the strap, then she kissed his cheek.

"We'll be back by dinner, love." Gabriel told Emilie. She kissed him.

"Stay safe."

"We will."

She opened the front door and Adrien marched out into the hallway. Emilie giggled. "He's adorable."

"He reminds me of you." Gabriel said.

"Really?" Emilie asked. Gabriel nodded.

"He has your blonde hair and green eyes. Plus he's brave like you, and strong, and determined."

"Are you coming, Daddy?" Adrien called. Gabriel laughed.

"See what I mean?"

"You better get going before he comes in here and drags you out." Emilie warned. Gabriel laughed and kissed her.

"Bye!"

"Bye!" Emilie waved. Adrien waved back, and Emilie closed the door. Duusu flew up to her the minute the door closed.

"He is cute." She told Emilie.

"That he is." She walked over to the radio and turned up the volume. "It's been hard being a model, mom, and hero all at once. Maybe I'll have a chance to be Peacock today."

"Maybe." Duusu agreed. "You know, you make a good hero."

"You think so?" Emilie asked. Duusu nodded. A voice came over the radio.

"We need extra firemen on forty fifth street. There's a fire and the apartment complex is falling fast."

Emilie stood. "Looks like that's our cue. Duusu, feathers out!" She transformed into Peacock and ran out of their small apartment. She hopped across the many rooftops of London until she reached the apartment complex. Billows of smoke flowed into the air, and she could see people running away. The fire trucks were spraying water, but it wasn't doing much to help. Emilie ran and jumped through one of the broken windows. She heard some voices, and she made her way toward them. Fire and smoke were everywhere, and two men were standing at the top of a staircase.

"Peacock!" One of the men shouted before he started coughing.

"We were going downstairs when the staircase fell away." The other man explained.

"Is there anyone else on this level?" Peacock asked. They shook their heads. "I need you to follow me and do exactly what I tell you to. Understand?"

They nodded. Peacock led them away from the staircase and made her way to the window. She used her fan to make a sort of step, and she helped them climb up and out onto the other roof. She led them away from the fire.

"I'll tell them you two are up here and make sure they send for help."

They nodded, and Peacock jumped off the roof. She ran over to the firemen and police officers.

"Peacock!" A fireman exclaimed.

"There's two men on that roof there." Peacock pointed to their spot. "They're fine, but they'll need help getting down." The fireman nodded. "Is there anyone else in there?" Peacock asked.

"We're pretty sure that there's someone on the fourth story, but we can't send anymore firemen in there 'cause it's about to blow."

"I can go in. Fourth floor?" The officer nodded, and Peacock climbed onto the roof of one of the fire trucks. The ladder was extended, but it was a bit far from the building, and it didn't quite reach to the fourth floor. She'd have to jump.