Ch. 16

November 16, 2003

Emilie ran into the living room with a giddy smile on her face. She jumped onto Gabriel, who was sitting on the couch, and kissed him. He held her for a moment before pulling away.

"What has you so excited?" He asked with a curious smile.

Her stomach fluttered with pure joy as she looked at her husband. She reached for his hand and gently put it to her stomach.

"I'm pregnant!" She started laughing, but Gabriel was more shocked than joyful.

"Aren't you happy?" She asked.

"I'm just surprised. I wasn't expecting you to get pregnant so soon."

"Gabriel, we've been married for four years! I thought you would be happy we would finally be starting a family."

He smiled. "I am."

"No you're not." She leaned closer. "What's the matter, darling?"

"I'm just not ready to be a father. We have so much going on. My fashion, your modeling, us being heroes. It's just... a lot. And a baby on top of that?"

"Our baby. Gabriel, you'll be a great father. You care enough to worry. In fact, I think you worry too much." She rubbed her thumb against his forehead.

"Look at all those worry lines. Don't worry your life away Gabriel, live it. Right now living life is having this baby, and I can't wait until we get to look at his or her beautiful face. Aren't you the least bit excited?"

Gabriel gently rubbed Emilie's stomach. Then he started to cry and laugh. "I am."

Emilie pulled him close. "It's going to be an adventure."

"It always is with you." He laughed. "There's never a dull moment around Emilie Agreste. I love you."

"I love you too."