Ch. 11

January 14, 2001

Emilie lost all sense of reality as she felt her heart torn out. She dropped the phone and fell onto the couch that sat inside their small apartment. Tears began to streak down her face, and her chest heaved with sobs.

Gabriel bent down and picked up the phone. He put it to his ear and left the room, but Emilie could still hear his grim voice in the room beyond. She took a pillow and curled up onto the couch, burying her face into the rough fabric. Time seemed to stop, and Emilie didn't think she could go on anymore. Gabriel came into the room a few minutes later, but Emilie hardly noticed. He sat down next to her, and the couch stretched and shifted. He placed a hand on her leg.

"Emilie... I'm so sorry." He whispered. She didn't respond but buried her head in the pillow. Gabriel reached out and gently ran his fingers through her long blond hair.

"I'm going to miss Jane too. She was a good friend." He said.

Emilie twisted around and looked at her husband. "She was the best. She didn't deserve to die. I hope that man pays." Emilie's fists clenched tightly.

"They said the police caught him after the robbery. I still can't believe she got shot."

Emilie wiped her nose on her sleeve. "At least she died nobily, saving everyone. I just wish she had saved herself too." Emilie started crying again, worse than before, and Gabriel pulled her close.

"She was a hero, Emilie. She died doing what's right. She died an honorable death."

Emilie nodded through her tears, and Gabriel pulled her closer.

"We have each other now. Whatever happens, I will never leave you."

"You can't promise that." Emilie hiccuped.

"Fine. Then I promise that as long as I'm around I will always be there for you, and I'll do everything in my power to keep you safe."

Emilie's watery eyes gazed up at him, and a faint smile touched her lips. "You promise?"

"I promise." He said. She laid her head on his chest as her tears gradually slowed.

"I love you, Gabriel."

"I love you too."

The doorbell rang, and Gabriel gently pulled himself away from Emilie. He answered the door. A few seconds later Natalie ran into the living room and sat on the couch next to Emilie. Her eyes were rimmed red; her bottom lip was quivering.

Emilie reached over and brought Natalie into a hug. The two girls immediately started sobbing as they both felt the loss of Jane.

"She was my best friend." Natalie cried. The two friends cried their hearts out until their eyes were red and there weren't any tears left to shed. They pulled away, and Emilie wiped her nose with her shirt sleeve. "At least she's in a better place now." Emilie said.

Natalie nodded. Gabriel was sitting on the other side of Natalie, and he gave her a hug. When they pulled away Emilie suddenly noticed a red streak in Natalie's hair.

"Natalie, your hair." She said.

Natalie touched the strand with her fingertips. "I dyed it before I came here. It's for Jane, so I can remember the sacrifice she made." Natalie's eyes started watering again, and she put her face in her hands.

Emilie leaned on Natalie's shoulder, and Gabriel put his arm around the two girls. They sat in somber silence until the night turned black and the crickets began to chirp.