Chapter 4

'Kay, you guys are literally insane. This story got 18 votes in a day. I owe this big time. Thank you all so much.

This chapter includes Erica Hale and my own character, Audrey Hale (from spy school clash of spies). You might think Erica (or any of the characters) are out of character. In my opinion, the should be a little OOC. It's been ten years and their lives changed dramatically in that time. It would be unrealistic for them not to be. So please keep an open mind. Also, perspectives change in this chapter so Ben is still first person while any other character's perspective is third person limited. It should be clear when perspective change but if it isn't , just drop the question!

Alright on that note, please enjoy. Thanks for all the votes. You'll are awesome!!

16 Million Dollar Mansion in Beverly Hills near Hollywood

0700 hours

January 10, 2024

Erica Handler sat on her giant loveseat overlooking Hollywood from vast windows as she flicked through her emails.

Request to go on Jimmy Fallon. Delete. She wasn't promoting anything right now.

Fundraising gala. Sure... they were raising money for cancer research.

Kardashian Party? Na, too public. She didn't mind them but their events turned into a gossip magazine frenzy. Erica preferred to keep a little more private than that.

Vogue magazine photoshoot and interview? Yeah, why not. Erica could go for a nice cover shoot. Any excuse to make an outfit with her designer.

Oprah's birthday party? Hell yeah. No explanation needed for that one.

Request to be in Blake Blane's music video. No way. That creepy country singer was trying to get her to do whatever he could, whether it was in videos or appearances on the same talk show. Erica knew he had a massive crush on her and she didn't reciprocate the feelings at all.

Charity event at local children's hospital? Always. Those cute didn't ask her about her relationships or tried to get pictures for clout on social media. They didn't care. It was amazing.

Suddenly, an unknown number popped on the screen for a call. Erica quickly rejected it. She always got scared when someone called her. If the news outlets or public got her number, she would never get left alone. All of her business went through her manager or through her email. Only her very, very close friends had her actual phone number.

The number popped up on the screen again. If it was an accident call, they wouldn't have called twice. Erica feared the worst. The media had gotten her number. She deleted the call.

Finally, for a third time this person called. This time, she screenshotted the number, intending to research it later. But denied the call.

Erica realized that it was a Washington DC area code. At first, she thought maybe it was her mom or dad or grandpa or even her sister. But she double checked and their numbers were already in her contacts, thus not an unknown number. The unknown caller finally gave up and Erica resumed what she was doing. But she kept this caller in her mind, wondering who it might be.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

I groaned and gave up after the third call. Erica probably changed her number after she got famous. Why would she even remember a promise she made ten years ago? It was no use. I guess I'd have to forget about this whole thing for right now and go to work.

Suddenly, someone was banging on my door. Loudly.

"I'm coming!" I shouted at them. The banging increased.