Uncle Peter

Chapter 18: Wolf's Bane pt. 2/Co-Captain

~Rae's POV~

For the next two hours, my sister and I sat and laughed and cried together at the movie we'd seen too many times. When it was over, Lydia sat forward and set her empty ice cream carton on the table. I watched as she took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, shaking her head a little. I'd watched her do this exact thing too many times to count and it hurt a little bit more every time.

Lydia took a moment to herself before turning to look back at me, mask held firmly in place. "Come on, we have to get ready for the game." Getting up, she walked away without looking back; something I knew she did so she wouldn't crack.

Watching her retreating figure, my face squished up as I tried to figure out how much I'd be able to help her. Turning back to the table, I got to work cleaning up. Throwing away the cartons of ice cream, I tossed the spoons in the sink. Going back to the couch, I folded up the blanket and put it back where it was supposed to go before putting my jacket back on.

Running up the stairs, I went straight to my vanity. Fixing up my hair and makeup quickly, I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed. Looking down, I remembered I had to put shoes on and walked to where I put them, sliding them on. Sitting on my bed, I let my head hang as I realized I was going to have to avoid Stiles yet again tonight.

I sat in my thoughts for a while until a newly presentable Lydia whirled through my door, holding onto the frame. "Hurry up, we're gonna be late."

Afterward, she immediately spun around and hurried downstairs while pulling her keys from the purse hanging off her elbow. Letting out a final sigh, I pushed myself up off the bed and followed her until we were outside and in her car.

The drive was silent as we both tried not to think about certain people, Lydia strumming her manicured fingernails on the steering wheel.

It didn't take us long to get there and we simultaneously stepped out of the car, slamming our doors shut. Walking side by side, we made our way to the bleachers, climbing until we found a spot we liked. Reaching over, I rubbed Lydia's arm for only a second before pulling away.

Unable to help myself, I looked down at the players' bench but grew confused when I couldn't find who I was looking for. Looking out onto the field, I still couldn't find number 24.

Spotting Scott, I steeled myself for what was to come before telling my sister I'd be right back.

Walking down the metal steps, I wrapped my jacket around my torso. Partially because I was chilly and partially to protect myself subconsciously.

Reaching the grass, I forced my feet forward until I was standing behind Scott. Tapping him on the back, I stepped away as he jumped around.

For a werewolf with super senses, he sure got scared easily.

"Oh, wow. Rae, hi." He rushed out, running a hand over his head.

"Hey," I smiled meekly, "where's Stiles?"

"I mean-I don't even know. He said he'd be here." Scott told me, looking over at the locker room door.

"Oh...okay. Well..I'm just gonna go." I told him, pointing back at the bleachers as I turned away. Before I could walk away, however, Scott grabbed my arm.

"Wait, just, can we talk later? After the game?" He asked, his face looking a mixture of hopeful and pleading.

Sighing, I felt my resolve drop as I looked at his expression. "Fine. I'll meet you in the locker room." With that, I tried to walk towards the bleachers again.