Preparations for Battle

Chapter 20: Formality

Why not, it's Wednesday in Britain lmao 🙃

~SiriusCatBennett

~Rae's POV~

Sitting in my car, I read over the message I'd received from Allison earlier in the day. 

Ali-Cat: Hey. I wanted you to know that I'm really sorry about everything that happened. I didn't mean what I said. I was hoping you would want to come dress shopping with me and Lydia for the formal.

The single text made me realize exactly when and where Lydia got attacked; at the Winter Formal. I had completely forgotten about it seeing as my mind had been preoccupied with other things. 

Seeing as I didn't have a dress, and I wanted to work things out with my friend, I was now sitting in the parking lot in front of Macy's waiting for the two teenagers to get here. 

Flipping my phone in my hands, I let out a breath as I fiddled with the buttons. Soon, the phone vibrated, causing me to look down. 

Ali-Cat: Hey, we're here. Meet you at the escalators?

Quickly typing out that I would meet them there, I pulled myself out of my car and locked the door. Walking across the pavement, I reached the doors and went inside. 

Finding the girls standing at the bottom of the Macy's escalator, I sped up my pace until I was standing in front of them. 

"Finally, let's go." My sister said in frustration, pulling me onto the moving stairway with her. 

"God, Lyds. It's not like I've been waiting for you." I said snidely, rubbing my arm where she'd yanked me forward. 

"Whatever. Anyways, I was asking Allison what was wrong with her, because she was quiet the whole way here." 

"Nothing's wrong, I just, eh, have a lot on my mind." She responded, stepping on the elevator next to us. 

"You could smile at least. Ever heard the saying, 'never frown, someone could be falling in love with your smile?'" Allison scoffed lightly, looking over the side of the rail. "Smile, Allison. I'm buying you a dress." 

"Have to admit as far as apologies go, that's more than I expected." Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I went to speak but Lydia beat me to it. 

"Excellent."

"But not as much as I'm gonna ask." She continued, making my brows furrow farther. I tried to speak again but was cut off once more, prompting me to wait until I could talk to Allison alone.

 "What?" Lydia questioned, bewilderment evident in her voice. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means, you're going to cancel on whatever dumb, 'roided up jock you said yes to, and go with somebody else," Allison answered, turning to my sister with pursed lips as we stepped off the escalator. 

I looked to the girl with wide eyes, hoping she wasn't going to say what I thought she was going to. "Who?"

"Him," Allison said, turning her head to look at something to the left. 

My breath caught in my throat as I saw Stiles standing there, looking down at a bottle. Like the genius he was, he sprayed the perfume in his face causing him to rapidly sneeze aggressively. 

"Ohh. Don't frown, Lydia. Someone could be falling in love with your smile." At the condescending words that came out of Allison's mouth, I walked around the girls and sped toward the dresses.