Chapter 1: What a Night

"Why do I always get into these situations? Maybe I like the danger, maybe I like the adrenaline. All I know is that if this keeps happening I'm going to get myself killed."

                Smack. I felt his fist connect with my face only to immediately hear my nose crunch. "FUCK" I yell as I quickly stumble back covering my nose with my hand. I pull my hand back to see a small amount blood on it letting me know that my nose definitely just broke. I slowly look back up to the man and quickly snap my nose back into place with a large groan. I give him a smirk "you had one hit and you should have hit me harder" I say with a teasing tone. He threw another punch but this time I was prepared. I threw my left arm up blocking his punch before landing a solid punch to his face followed by a kick to the chest. He lurched backwards huffing a puffing while gripping his chest. He looked at me with pure rage and launched himself at me. He managed to tackle me in a bear hug but before he can sit up I slam my knee into his groan before flipping us over. "Like I said" I paused leaning down to whisper into his ear "You should have hit me harder" I then pull his head up only to slam it back down to the ground knocking him out.

I picked myself up off the now unconscious man and dusted off my hands, wiping them on my pants. I looked around the ally briefly before nodding to myself with a small smile before turning around and heading back into the city. Once I get out of the ally way I take a sharp right turn and start walking down the street with my hands in my pockets humming. It was a surprisingly busy night on the streets of Manhattan so It was easy to blend into the crowd. I continued my walk down the street, the cool night air giving me a slight chill. After probably about a fifteen minute walk I finally arrived back at my apartment. I walked into the door hearing the bell above the door ring. I walk past the empty reception desk since there was rarely anyone ever there. I ducked into the stairwell since the elevator was down and began my hike up the 10 flights of stairs because me being the genius I am decided that having an apartment on the 10th floor was a great idea, which was a horrible mistake. As I got up to my floor trying to catch my breath I see my landlord come out of the room across from my own. I sighed "Hey bob" I give him a small smile and short wave before trying to quickly duck into my apartment. "Your rent is a week late" He said in a stern tone looking at me with crossed arms. I cringed "Well I need just a bit more time to get my rent together" I said holding making a pinching motion. "This is the third month your rent has been late" He said clearly annoyed. "Yeah well it's not like I make a shit ton of money working at an old run down pawn shop" I say quickly scowling before quickly ducking into my apartment and locking the door.

I woke up the next morning the sound of car horns and yelling, Ahh the beautiful sounds of New York city. I groaned throwing my hand over my eyes to attempt to block out some of the light before rolling out of bed tripping on a broken floorboard. "Fuck!" I curse just barely managing to keep myself from tumbling to the ground. I looked around my crappy bedroom to see my clothes strewn across the floor and my desk since I have neglected to fold anything. I sighed grabbing a tank top and pair of leggings off of my floor before giving them a sniff to make sure they were still clean enough for work. Good enough so I threw them on and headed out the main room. I made my way to kitchen and decided to make myself some cereal for breakfast since I had neither the time nor the energy to cook. I grabbed a bowl and the cereal out my cabinet and poured some. I then went into the fridge to grab some milk. I looked around the whole fridge only to see that there was no milk because when do I ever have anything I need. So what did I do... I ate dry cereal while sitting on my counter. After I finished breakfast I pulled on my brown leather jacket and pair of black sneakers before heading out my front door. I began to take the long walk down the street heading towards the pawn shop I worked at. After my usual 30 minutes of walking I arrived at the store. As I walked in I saw a big burly man sitting behind the counter, this man was my co-worker and friend also known as Dave. "Hey Dave" I said with a chipper tone waving at him as he worked behind the counter. His head popped up to look at me with a smile. "Hey Foxy good to see!" Dave said with a smile handing me my name tag which I quickly put on and headed to the back to sort out the recent things people have pawned.