Chapter 17: Blood and Snow

You know what. Getting stabbed fucking hurts. Like a lot. Although in all honestly it could probably hurt a lot more since I was fairly hopped up on adrenaline and shock which are great pain killers. I lifted my hand to my face to wipe my hair out my face only for a sticky substance to leave within the path of my hand. I looked at my hand only to see red. I was confused and what was on my hand and only after a moment more did I realize. That's blood. That's my blood! Oh that makes sense.

I watched as the Crimson Shield fell onto their butt after planting the knife firmly into my stomach. I lifted my head looking down at my wound. That was not good. Ahh and there's that pain finally kicking in. I let out a small scream from the pain enough to get the Crimson Shield's attention. "You know stabbing people is rude" I say struggling with every syllable. They just gave me a look of pure amazement with a hint of 'are you fucking kidding me'. I turned my head to the side so I could see them better. The moonlight reflecting off their short blonde hair. "So you finally won a fight with me" I say as sarcastically as I could manage while trying to clap my hands which just ended with a groan from me.

Crimson Shield had a look of pride on their face as they looked over me. "New York will be a safer place because of this, but if it's any consolation I would have rather you in jail than stabbed" They said with a hint of sympathy in their voice. I just did a halfhearted chuckle before I began a coughing fit. I could feel my mouth and mask filling with blood so I quickly reach up and unlatched me mask throwing it off and turning my head so I could cough up the blood.

I finally turned my head back up and took a deep breath. I heard a gasp and looked over to the Crimson Shield. Their hands were softly shaking and their eyes blown wide at the sight of me. "Ph-ph-pheya" They said softly picking me up so that I rested on their lap. It was my turn to be the shocked one "how do you know my name" I said still gasping for air. They placed their hands on my stomach applying pressure to try and stop the bleeding.

"No no no no no no" They said pulling my sweatshirt off and using it to try to slow the bleeding. "NO this-this can't happen no you can't die on me Pheya don't leave me I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry". I looked at the face as they cradled me in their arms. I could feel my body getting weaker, my hands getting colder, my head getting cloudier. I reached up and grabbed the Crimson shields mask and yanked it off.

Shayne. That's who I saw behind the mask. One of the only people I let myself get close to. I looked over her face tears streaming down her cheeks. I rubbed my thumb trying to wipe up the tears only for my blood to swear on her cheek. "I'm so sorry. I-I-I didn't know" She stuttered out grabbing my hand and holding it to her cheek. I just looked up at her a smiled.

"Shayne it's not your fault you didn't know" I say no louder than a quite whisper. She simply pulled me to her chest and held me close as she cried. I pulled away from her looking into her beautiful eyes that glowed with a certain fire behind them. I smiled at her as I ran my fingers across her face. The corners of my vision began to fade and I could tell the end was near. I would finally have an answer for what lie beyond this world. I didn't feel sad or scared. I think I got over my fear of death a long time ago. No this was peaceful.

As my body grew more and more tired the pain from my chest simply became an ache. I removed my hand from Shayne's face and it fell to my side. I could see Shayne talking but I couldn't hear anything. Only ringing. And as I watched tears fall from Shayne's eyes something finally clicked for me. It was like everything in my life became clear. The struggles. The pain. The fear. All of it simply washed away with no significance in this moment. I didn't matter anymore. Only one thing mattered. One last thing I had to say. "I love you". That was it. I used what little strength I had left to mutter the finale words. They were true I knew that. I think it was the first time I truly knew what I felt. I saw Shayne's lips move once more but couldn't decipher what she said. That was it. I closed my eyes one last time as all my pain washed away like blood in an endless ocean. I love you my final though as everything went black.