Chapter 9: Karma

I awoke with a dull but constant ache in my shoulder. I groaned as I sat up in my bed. I slowly crawled out of bed and made my way downstairs. I saw Shayne sitting there drinking her coffee as usual. I snuck into the kitchen and started to make myself some cereal. "You know I never asked you about your childhood" I heard Shayne say from the living room. I froze for a moment mid pouring cereal before I snapped back to reality. "Not much to say. Father wasn't there, Mother was a drug addict, And I have been an orphan living on the streets since I was 13" I say as I finish making my cereal.

"I'm guessing that why you are not very open about your past" She says taking a sip of coffee. "Like I said nothing much to say. There's nothing special about me plenty of people have lived my life so no use crying over spilt milk is there" I say as nonchalantly as I can. I can tell Shayne was about to say something more when her phone went off. She answered it quickly before hanging up. "sorry that was the police station I have to go stay in and rest today ok" she said as she got up and grabbed her coat. I took a big spoonful of cereal and said "will do". She gave me a look that said she knew I was lying but didn't have the time to argue about and headed out the door.

Later that day once the sun had set I took off across the rooftops once more. Tonight I had a plan. A devious plan but a plan none the less. So I took off towards the police station. Once I had arrived I stopped on top of a building that gave me a clear view of the station. I pulled out my binoculars and spied on the entrance. I waited for what must have been an hour when I saw what I was looking for. The lieutenant walked out of the building to his squad car. I got ready to follow him when I got a phone call.

"Hey Foxy how's it going" I heard Dave's voice on the other end. "Good everything's been great lately" I said starting to follow the car. "That great I just wanted to call you and check up on you what are you up to tonight" He said. "Oh nothing much just chilling at home watching TV and eating ice-cream" I say as I hop to the next building. "How about you?" I ask. "Oh everything's been good just making some dinner when I thought to call you" He said as I continued to follow the car. "That's awesome. Listen Dave I have got to go but I'll talk to you soon alright" I said my breathing getting a bit heavier. "Ok cool talk to you soon" He said before hanging up. I quickly pocketed my phone and continued to run off.

After probably a mile the car finally stopped. Thank god because I was out of breath. I watched the lieutenant get out of the car and walk into and old brick building. I climbed down the fire escape onto the street and walked followed him into the building. Inside I saw him talking to a few other people about what I couldn't quite hear but I saw them pass money off to him before he headed out the door. I ducked behind a doorway as he walked past and quickly followed after.

"Hello lieutenant" I said in a sinister voice. He stopped moving pulled out his gun and pointed it at me. I simply tilted my head at him in a questioning manner. "Don't move an inch or I will shoot" He said sounding stoic. "So you're a dirty cop huh" I said still in the same sinister tone as I took a small step forward. "I'm warning you don't push your luck" he said this time his voice a little wobblier. I take another step forward "What ever will we do about you" I say giving him a smirk.

"please just let me get in my car and there won't be any trouble" He said taking a step back with every step I took forward. I chuckled a deep dark chuckle. "But if I let you do that you wouldn't learn your lesson now would you tsk tsk" I say still creeping closer. "Fuck you. I will do whatever the fuck I want" He said voice wavering. "No you won't" I say with a cocky tone.

I can see his trigger finger tense so I quickly hit the ground rolling towards him and popping up in front of him. I twist his arm throwing him over the shoulder and grabbing the gun at the same time. He quickly gets back on his feet and puts his hands up. "Please don't do this I'll give you anything you want" He pleaded. I pause lowering my gun thinking his offer over before putting the gun back up. "you should have thought about that before". Bang. I feel the gun go off in my hands and I watch as his body slumps to the floor.

It felt different this time. I felt more in control of the situation. Maybe that's because I meant to pull the trigger instead of on just instinct. It felt better being in control. I liked it. The power. Maybe that's why serial killers did what they did for that feeling of adrenaline and power. But I'm not like those serial killers this man deserved to be shot. He was a dirty cop and those are some of the worst scum bags. He deserved what had happened. It was karma. I was karma.