Chapter 3: Prototype

It's the next day when I headed out to work and would be getting out at 2:00 Pm which is good so I could get to my new place. When I got to work I was met with an angry boss of mine. "Fox we need to talk follow me to my office". Shit this can't be good. I follow my boss into his office in the back and sat down across from him. "So what did I do" I said in a cautious tone. "You have been caught stealing knifes from my store!" he said looking pissed. My eyes went wide as I said "Well... I mean... Uhm... you see... Ok I really don't have a good defense... so... uhm... I'm a.... uhm... I'm guessing I'm fired". He nodded "And if you don't pay me back for the knife by Friday I will call the police" He said still angry. I just nodded and headed out of his office. "Ey Foxy! Whats up? boss man looked angry" he said waving me down looking concerned. "Well you see I may or may not be a shit employee and" I started but Dave cut me off "I could have told you that" He said teasingly. I just squinted at him before continuing "yeah yeah yeah. Whatever. Anyways looks like I have been fired so I guess I get to sleep in now" I say opening the front door to head out. "Idiot" Dave says in a jokingly tone. "Love ya too!" I say quickly ducking out onto the street.

I walked across town to Shayne's apartment since I had nothing else to do now. I walked into the building a gave the receptionist a small nod before heading up the stairs. Once at the door I gave it a quick knock and waited. Shayne opened the door shortly after and gave me a smile "Foxy hey come in". I smiled and walked into the place closing the door behind me. "Ok so here is the apartment key. And I do need the first month's rent" She said bubbly as ever. "Yeah let me just drop my bag off in my room and I will come down with the money" I said running up the stairs. She gives me a quick nod as I head off. I quickly went into my room and dropped off my bag digging through it pulling out a wad of cash. I pulled out the 1500 dollars and headed back down stairs. "Here" I said handing Shayne the cash. She looked surprised for a moment "I thought it would be a check". I paused but was able to quickly save myself "Oh I pay everything in cash, I'm an anxious person and don't trust banks so I prefer to keep my cash on me". "Oh cool that's chill" She said smiling taking the cash "Well welcome" She said with a smile and I smiled back.

Later that day once I finish putting my clothes in a closet which is something my old place did not have I went down stairs. I saw Shayne watching the news on the couch so I decided to go sit next her. I looked at what was on the TV and it was a news story about the robbery. I guess when 800k goes missing people become interested. They droned on and on about the details of the robbery which I knew all of them for obvious reasons. I only started to tune back in when they began talking about the supposed hero that almost stopped the attack. Apparently this "Hero" worked with the police and had enhanced strength which would make sense why it hurt so god damn much when they hit me. I gently grab my stomach as they mention the super strength, thinking back to the event. I looked over towards Shayne to notice she looked a tad nervous. "Hey Shayne you good?" I asked. She looked over and smiled "Yeah I'm good just worried about some things at work". I nodded my head and went back to watching TV. I sat there for a few moments just relaxing before I piped up again. "Hey Shayne. What is it you do for work? Just out of curiosity". She paused for a moment "Oh. I'm a police officer" She eventually said. Oh shit.... Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit. Oh they is very very bad for me. I have made a horrible mistake. "Neat!" I say.

A few hours later I decided to go out to my local appliance shop which was not very far away. Once there I began to head around back to dig around in the dumpsters when I remembered that I had money now and didn't need to do that anymore. I chuckled to myself and went inside. I roamed around the store looking for pieces and parts I needed, once I had picked out a few items I brought them up front and purchased them. I walked back to the apartments and went up to drop my stuff into my room I didn't see Shayne on my way up so I assumed she went out for the night. Once I took my stuff out of my bag onto my bedroom floor I turned on the news and started taking apart the machines. Nothing much interesting was going on so I just sat and fiddled. Until a certain headline caught my eye " Local Hero Saves School Bus from driving off cliff.". I groaned why do people make such a big fuss over a stupid "Hero" they are nothing special nothing I couldn't do myself. Then I got an idea.

Probably 5 hours later I finally had made a prototype of what I wanted but it wasn't quite complete. I needed something else. I needed a miniature propulsion engine which was something I couldn't simply whip up with the pieces of a blender and toaster. So I made a new plan. I would go get myself one I know there is a lab not too far away from here that would have one so it was settled. I put on my dark clothes grabbed my mask which covered from my nose down so I could still see clearly and headed out.

After A short walk I reached what I was looking for a small research lab. It was about 11pm at this point so it was well after dark but of course there were still people milling about the streets. I went into the ally way and snuck around back of the building. There wasn't much there but a door that would definitely have a lock on it. I bent down to look at the door handle it looked fairly simple nothing I could lock pick so I got to work. After a tad bit of time and some patients I heard the lock click open. Yes! Once through the lock I carefully opened the door and peeked inside. I could see a security camera right above the door pointing towards the hallway. I snuck in a closed the door with my back firmly pressed against the wall. I reached over my head just barely able to reach the camera. I managed to quickly, or as quickly as someone can disable a security camera, disabled the camera then duck into a nearby doorway.

A few moments later I heard footsteps coming down the hall so I waited behind the door way until they were close enough. Once I saw the man in view I lunged at him throwing my arm around his neck chocking him out. Once down I quickly pulled off his jacket and hat and put them one along with his security badge and headed off down the hallway. Once I got to the main lab room and opened the door I began my search. I dug through countless prototypes and lab equipment until I found what I was looking for. A small propulsion engine I picked up two of them and stuffed them into my bag and hurried my way out of the lab. Once out of the lab I walked a few blocks before dumping the clothes and badge in a dumpster and continued to make my way home.

Once home I ran inside and up to my room. I didn't even bother to check if Shayne was home. Once I was inside I took out my prototype boots and began to attach the propulsion engines to them. It took me a while I didn't even notice the time going by until it was 3am I then decided I should probably go to bed before I did more engineering while ready to pass out. Engineering and tiredness do not mix well. So I put my stuff away and went to bed. The next morning the noise decided to wake me up at the ungodly hour of 8am after having stayed up so late. I trudged down the stairs to see Shayne sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee. I walked into the kitchen to make myself one. Once I had my coffee I went over to the couch and sat down. "Good Morning" Shayne said in a happy tone. I just groaned in acknowledgement to which I got a chuckle as a reply. "Stay up late last night?" She asked taking a sip from her coffee. I groaned again nodding my head and taking a sip of my coffee. She just rolled her eyes and went back to watching TV.

A couple hours of TV watching went by in a flash. Before I knew it wasalready noon. I decided to get up from the couch finally and go back to my roomto finish my prototypes. I gave a short wave and a see you later too Shayne.Once back to my room I sat on the ground and continued to mess around with theelectronics. It only took me 2 more hours to finish the boots and once theywere done they were stunning. At least to me they were, too any normal personthey would just look like normal black winter boots, but to me they werespecial, they were brilliant, and tonight I would test them out under the coverof darkness and I just might be able to show that stupid hero up too.