Chapter 15: Something New

Eventually we had to pull away from each other for air. I took a deep breath still processing everything. I could feel Shayne's eyes boring into mine. Looking for an answer. I didn't have one anymore though. I didn't have an explanation for what I was feeling. How could I? So instead of just trying to explain it I just let my body do the talking. I grabbed the collar of Shayne's shirt pulling her down to my level giving her another kiss which she gladly excepted. After another moment she pulled away and whispered in my ear "We really should get going". I nodded and we headed off.

Things heated up quickly once we got home. Shoes flying off and being thrown into the corner. Jackets and hats falling to the ground. Lips on each other's once again. She reached under my legs and lifted me up still deep within the kiss. She walked up the stairs and pushed open her bedroom door carrying me inside. Once inside she turned around and shut the door.

I woke up the next morning not in my bed and very confused. I sat up and only after about a moments did I remember that I was in Shayne's room. A smile rose to my lips as I pulled off the covered and stood up. Shayne wasn't there so I assumed she must have gone down to watch the morning news. I quickly pull on a pair of shorts and t-shirt and headed downstairs. I came down the stairs to see Shayne sitting on the couch drinking her normal cup of coffee watching to news. I walked over and plopped down next her. She gave me a quick smile before going back to watching the news. "I think I may have been a bit obvious that I like you" I say. Shayne laughs "You think". I just shake my head and smile.

The next few weeks went by in a flash. Fancy dinners. Walks in the park. Cuddling and watching movies on the couch. I could easily say this has been the best time of my life. Even though it was difficult to keep my identity a secret. Sneaking out at night while Shayne was off at work. Trying to remove the blood from my clothes without her noticing. The fact that random bruises would appear on me. Yeah its honestly a miracle she hasn't figured it out yet.

One night I came back especially bruised up with a busted lip since for some reason my body decided to forget what dodging was. I tried to sneak in open the door quietly. I saw Shayne on the couch and slowly stepped in I attempted to close the door behind me as silently as possible. Once the door was finally shut I turned around only to be met with a body towering over me. I yelped throwing a punch at the sudden opponent only for Shayne to grab my wrist. "Little jumpy huh" She giggled still holding my wrist. I huffed out a breath before trying to head upstairs only for Shayne to wrap her arms around my wait pulling me closer.

She turned me around and saw my bruised brow bone and busted lip. She softly gasped. "What the hell happened this time and don't tell me it was because you tripped" She scolded while walking me over to the couch. A part of me wanted to tell her the truth. I couldn't explain why but I felt sick every time I had to lie to her. This never happened to me before. Why now. I wanted to tell her but I just knew I couldn't. She would hate me. This thing I have with her. It's something I have never had before. Something I had to protect no matter what the cost.

"Someone tried to mug me" I paused "Don't worry they got the worst of it". A lie. It was a lie and I hated it but there was nothing else I could say. Shayne just gave me pity eyes and pulled me closer so that my head rested on her lap. She ran a hand through my hair not saying anything. It was calming. It managed to make me forget about all the Crimson Shield bullshit for once. I began to slowly drift off when I heard muttering above me. I focused on what Shayne was saying trying to decipher the mumbling. That's when I heard it. The faintest of whispers. The kind of whisper you say when you believe someone is asleep. "I love you".

I love you. Those words. They were strange to me. They incited a strange feeling. I couldn't tell if it was a good thing or not. On one hand it filled me with the kind of joy that made me want to sing from the rooftops, and on the other hand it filled me a kind of fear that felt like falling into the endless void. I felt as though I was being torn apart with a wanting to except what that meant and want to flee from this world.

I woke up the next morning still wrapped up inShayne's arms. We must have fallen asleep on the couch. I twist around to lookup at Shayne who is still sound asleep. I slowly move around until I'm sittingupright on Shayne's lap. A small smile comes to my lips as I watch her sleep. Igive her a short and sweet kiss on the lips which causes one of her eyes toflutter open. She smiled at me before giving me a longer kiss back. I looked intoher eyes feeling trapped by their endless gaze. I heard what she said lastnight. I know I should say something. Yet nothing came to mind. I couldn'texplain my feelings in a simple response. So I just smiled back at her gettingup and making breakfast. Maybe someday I could tell her what I felt. I just hadto figure it out for myself first.