Chapter 18: Right or Wrong

I held Pheya's now limp body in my arm. Unsure of what just happened. Out of all the people in the world. Why her. I cried out trying to get her to wake as I held her face within my shaking grasp. "No no no no" I cried "Don't. Please don't leave me. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.". Lights quickly flooded my vision as I was suddenly blinded by the intense headlights of multiple cars pulling up. I noticed EMT's pulling up as well. I looked back down at Pheya and rubbed away now dried tears from her face. "see you are going to be ok. The EMT's will stich you right back up. You will be fine. Just fine" I sobbed. A small part of me already knew, but I refused to accept it. I refused to accept the fact that I... I... I killed the love of my life. The EMT's quickly rushed over taking Pheya's body away from me as a sat there frozen. Mortified. A police officer came up to me. I watched their lips moved but couldn't hear a thing beside to shallow voice of Pheya echoing in my ears.

The police escorted me back to my apartment. Giving me a few congratulations on finally catching the Silver Shadow but it all meant nothing to me. I just sat on the couch silently. I remembered sitting on the couch Pheya laying on my lap as I would run my hand through her hair. And in that moment it hit me. She was dead. I began to cry. Violently sobbing as all of my emotions hit me at once. Grief over the fact that I lost the love of my life. Guilt knowing that I was the one that killed her. Anger because she had lied to me the whole time I knew her. It all mixed together into just a conglomeration of emotions that simply left me as now more than a crying screaming mess.

One month later.

I stood in front of the bathroom mirror fixing the cuff on my sleeve. It has been a month since Pheya had died and to be honest I wasn't doing too well. I had left my job at the police station. Left my job of being a super hero since it was all far too painful. Everyone always congratulated me on stopping the 'menace' but it only reminded me of the fact that I had killed her. I know she lied to me and it hurts me to even think about, but I loved her. My mind feels as though it is trying to trick me out of guilt. Pheya hurt people. She killed people. She stole. I thought through it all but I never helped. I still felt guilty and I still felt ashamed. I finished fixing my suit as my mind continued to run rampant. I had to be strong. Today was Pheyas funeral. I don't even know why I am bothering to dress up. No one else will show. It will just be me and the Grave diggers there. And at the final though I turned away from the mirror and headed out. I had to do this last thing, and once I had I could finally move on with my life. She was a villain. I had to remember that. She was the bad guy. I knew that. So why did it still hurt so much.