one

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

may 24, 1972
10:45 am

— Niall drops Harry off in front of Bambi's home, the sight of the familiar cottage making butterflies erupt in Harry's stomach.

Harry sings a, "thank you" as Niall drives away from the house, him throwing a thumbs up sign out the window meaning, "anytime".

Mr. Petal's car was parked in the driveway and next to it was a lilac Volkswagen van. Harry grins because he knows it's his girl's car, hearing all about in the letters Bambi wrote.
l
He steps up onto the porch and knocks three times on the wooden door, Harry's hands behind his back while he whistles a fun tune. He waits there for second before the door opens, him being greeted by Mr. Petal.

"Oh Harry my boy! What a pleasant surprise!" Bambi's father chimes with a smile, opening the door wider so Harry can enter the house. "Hello, Thomas!" Harry beams and steps inside the welcoming home, the house looking the exact same as it did last year.

"Angela, look who's here!" Thomas shouts and Mrs. Petal rushes over to the door, being surprised when she see's Harry's figure. "Harry! Welcome back" She coos and even goes to take him into a warm hug, pulling back with a large smile. "Look at you! Still so handsome" Angela says while pinching one of his cheeks and sweeping her hand through his hair, Harry flushing of embarrassment.

"Sweetheart.. leave the poor sport alone." Mr. Petal states and Angela sighs, wiping her hands on her dress while sheepishly exclaiming, "Oh my of course! My bad honey I can get carried away sometimes"

"It's okay Ang." He chuckles as he shuts the door behind him, fixing up his now ruffled hair as Thomas leads the way to the kitchen.

"Angela darling can you stir up some coffee and maybe some eggs? If not I totally can. I jus' wanna catch up with Harry here" Thomas questions as Harry removes the light jacket he's wearing, hanging it up on a nearby rack before following Mr. Petal into the kitchen.

"Uhm I'll make some, jus' gimme a minute!" Angela replies, as she tosses her apron on.

"Thank you, sweetie" Thomas beams before pulling out of the dining room seats, gesturing Harry to sit across from him.

"So, how have you been? We missed you down here in California." Mr. Petal questions as Harry sits down.

"It's been okay, just could've been better, y'know?"

"Yeah, I- um heard about Robin. I'm sorry old sport." Thomas adds meaningfully, a frown on his lips. "It's okay. It was just so unexpected. He was perfectly fine months before we found out about his sickness. I miss him everyday" Harry replies quickly, wanting to change the topic as Angela brings out the coffee.

Thomas notices Harry's mood change and decides to change the topic. "I'm sure Bambi will be happy to see ya!" He says and Harry perks at the mention his bunny. "She asked over and over again if you were coming back. I suppose she has a little crush on you. You didn't hear that from me though." Thomas chuckles with a wink.

Little did he know. Harry thought in his head.

"She'll be back any second now I believe. Told her to run to the market for me because we ran out of milk." Angela jumps in, placing two plates of eggs in front of Harry and Mr. Petal.

"How has she been?" Harry questions, taking a bite of the scrambled eggs and Thomas hums. "She's been alright. Recently, she's back to herself but earlier this year.. whew I've never see our flower child so upset." Mrs. Petal says and Harry frowns.

"Wha' happened?"

"One of her little friends wouldn't mail her back or somethin' like that." Thomas responds as he wipes his mouth with a napkin.

"Oh" Harry answers shortly, guilt filling his chest as he takes in his final bite of eggs.

"Yeah.. but she's definitely gotten better ever since-" Angela starts but gets cut off by the front door opening.

"Ma? Pops?" Bambi sings as she enters her home, kicking off her saddle shoes as she carries a carton of milk in one hand.

Harry's heart flutters in his chest at the sound of her sweet voice, one he hasn't heard in ages.

"In here princess!" Thomas shouts and Bambi follows the sound of her father's voice, hearing the sound of the car door slam in the distance as the poppet enters the kitchen.

Harry's heart stops when he sees her walk into the room, holding a breath in as he forgets all the words he prepared for her during the flight.

"We got the milk ma! Oh we also got a few snacks too so I hope you don't mind-" Bambi starts but before she can finish the sentence her eyes land on Harry, who is sitting in her dining table, like- actually there.

Harry stares at the her, Bambi being the exact same berry she was when he last saw her.

Bambi opens her mouth to speak but no words come out, her mouth in a shape of an "O" as she grows embarrassed in front of the man.

Harry clears his throat before finally speaking. "Hello, Bambi." He smiles and Bambi blushes, looking down awkwardly at the floor before they hear a door shut, another guy walking into a room who did not look much older than the butterfly.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs Petal!" He greets Bambi's parents as Harry's eyebrows furrow, confused on who this guy is.

"Hello Matthew!" Thomas says and Harry looks over to Mr. Petal.

"Hey baby, what's wrong?" Matthew asks the butterfly and Harry snaps his head back to Bambi, seeing this random guy put his arm around his sunshine's neck.

"N-nothing." The fairy stutters and Harry's heart breaks when he sees this Matthew guy place a kiss on top of Bambi's head.

"That's Matthew, Bambi's new boyfriend" Angela mumbles, noticing the confusion on Harry's face.

"Oh."

__

I'm sorry guyssss, dont hate me!

Bambi (the first book) was so soft and as much as I loved it, I'm trying to add a bit more plot and "drama" to this one! But don't worry, it'll still be soft ahahah.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Please let me know what you think!!

I love you all! Thank you for reading!

— chanel <3