Chapter 17, Encounter of the bird kind

(Ash's POV)

It was the next day after my encounter with Giovanni, me and Serena we walking through the forest, and Serena was a bit off edge about what I told her last night. What I told her about my encounters with team rocket must've left her scared. We had stopped for a minute, to relax from the walking. I set down my supplies, and relaxed on the grass, and laid there. Meanwhile, Serena is over by a stream, doing whatever that she doesn't in her spare time. I was guessing she was eating her lunch, as I heard a loud scream come from her. I shot up, and ran over.

"What, what's up?" I frantically asked.

"That Fletchling swooped down and grabbed my sandwich straight out of my hand," Serena said, while chattering her teeth, pointing to a Fletchling over in the tree line.

"That's all?" I questioned, and she nodded. I sighed, and gave her a part of my sandwich. Serena though, keep glaring at the Fletchling, whom did not know what they did wrong. The Fletchling then swooped down again, and tried to grab a bite of the sandwich, which Serena jolted backwards, making the Fletchling crash right into a tree. The fletchling looked back at Serena, then proceeded to fly off.

We picked up the trail again, and kept on heading towards Santalune City. I knew that it would be a bit longer until we reached there, Serena herself said that at the pace we were going at, it would take another couple of days to arrive, which was alright. So we decided to walk the rest of the day, so we can arrive as soon as possible.

At the moment, everything was silent, all you could hear were the chirping of the different bird Pokémon, and the foot steps of our feet on the ground. Everything felt peaceful, too peaceful, the disturbing kind that you would feel like when you know something is about to happen, but don't know when. I kept the feeling to myself, although, I took out Gibble's pokeball. That silence was disturbed by the Fletchling, swooping down again attacking Serena. Neither of us were fast enough to react, and so it hit Serena on the top of the head, and stole her hat.

"Hey, give that back!" Serena shouted, as she started to run after the Fletchling.

"Serena, hang on, wait up!" I started to shouts as I chased after Serena. We ran for a minute before the Fletchling landed in a tree. Serena impulsively started to climb the tree, she made it only half way, before the next branch that she grabbed broke and she fell, but I caught her just in time. I set her downwind started to climb myself. I reached the point where the branches were getting thinner on the tree, when I noticed the Fletchling, who started to drop berries on my head that it would pick off the branches, but it didn't stop me.

"Fletchling, I'm not here to hurt you, all I'm asking is for that hat, okay?" I said. The Fletchling started to look back and forth between Serena's hat, and me, before ultimately dropping Serena's hat back down to Serena. I was about to climb back down, then the Fletchlimg stole my hat right off of my head. It startled me made loose my balance, and fall out of the tree, and land on my ass. A drop, mind you, that was 20 feet. I stood right back up. And told Serena, "Would you mind staying here for a second, I have a Fletchling to chase down."

Then I grabbed Charizard's pokeball from my belt, and released Charizard, hopped on his back, and started to chase the Fletchling down.

(Serena's POV)

Okay, how does one survive a fall from that high, he had to have at least a broken bone, if not more.

Ash told me to wait here for a second, as he chased the Fletchling that stole his hat. Once his Charizard took off, it created a large gust, almost knocking me over. I few moments later, I hear Ash in the distance, "Use Flamethrower!" I next heard a large growl, guessing from Charizard, and then a loud chirp, which I'm guessing, came from Fletchling. Ash soon came back, with his hat now on his head.