15) Hidden truths.

"What?" Ayat asked as her eyes widened to full extent and Sabeen nodded.

"Okay khala, if this is some kind of joke or something, I really didn't like it," she faltered. "You've got to up your humor game you know."

"Why?" Scrunching her brows together, Sabeen straightened up in her spot. "Why do you think I'm making a joke. Is it that hard to believe?"

"Umm... YaHa!" Ayat exclaimed as if it was quite obvious.

"Really? Arching her eyebrow up to her forehead, Sabeen asked in all solemnness. "And why is that so?"

Picking up the cushion and placing it on her folded legs, Ayat held out her hand and started counting in her fingers. "Well, let's see. 1- Because you yourself brought me here. 2-Because I've lived my whole life in this house and I can't just leave it out of the blue, 3- I see no reason to do so either, and 4- ...," hesitating, she abruptly stopped at the 4th one which was actually the main reason she did not want to go to that fateful city. The city that snatched everything away from her and left her with nothing. The city that swallowed her parents, the city that even swigged up her mother's remnants, and the city where he lived.

"And 4th?" Sabeen inquired.

"Well, I guess that's just it," Ayat said as she put her hand back and her voice wavered in fragments.

Clearing her throat, Sabeen proceeded. "Okay look Ayat, you wanting or not wanting won't change anything. Allah knows how much thought I've given to this and now I've made up my mind. This is the best for you, trust me on this."

Ayat's eyes flickered as she slumped against her spot on bed. "I'm sorry, how is this the best thing for me now?" she used air quotes on the best thing. "I mean it just doesn't make any sense. Why would you come up with such an idea out of thin air? What has gotten in to you? You've never demanded something like this before...?"

Heaving a constricted sigh, Sabeen retorted. "Firstly, I'm not demanding, I'm commanding. And secondly, I did not come up with it out of thin air. I've been thinking of it for days. And now, I don't know if you're actually so naïve or just pretending not to understand the reason behind my decision. But whatever the Jahannum it is, I'm not letting you live in this city anymore where everyone is always prying on you, talking gibberish about you, and using you as a matter of amusement for their time pass," her voice trembled at the end as her eyes pooled up with tears.

People!

Again!

She had gotten so sick of these creatures who are always inclined to remember others' stories but when it comes to remember their own, they are suddenly blank.

Holding Sabeen's arm warmly, Ayat tried calming her down. "You know I don't care."

"WELL I DO," Sabeen voice shot above octaves which made Ayat slump bank and shriek. And that was it. She knew better than disagreeing with Sabeen's officious tone. Being really well acquainted with her khala's temperament, she didn't dare utter another word.

******

Irha put the last article of clothing in bed and after zipping the bag up, fumbled down on the couch beside Ayat with a huff, her head resting on the head rest. "I can't believe you are leaving me in like two freaking days," slanting her head toward Ayat, she chirped.

Ayat did not respond as her eyes dig deep into the tapestry hanging on the opposite wall as if all her answers lied in the secrecy of the threads. Her life was just as tangled up as those thread but even in those entanglement, there was a perfect design. The design that so beautifully trailed a breathtaking pattern starting from one end and stopping at the other. The design akin to human life. However; there's only a teensy bit of difference. That design was made by a mortal being and the artist might be an expert but they're still fallible. But the One above; the greatest creator of all, doesn't make mistakes. His designs are unblemished and as pure as the first rain.