19)She's a Phoenix. (Part 1)

Eeeehhhhh I'm so excited. This is the one chapter I've been dying to write since the very start of this book. It's quite long and was supposed to be much longer but then I split it in two parts. So without further ado, let's get into it. Enjoy!

The past two weeks had been extremely hectic but passed quickly. Over the course of these days, shopping had been done, menu had been decided, and the venue was Ayat's place. The reception, however, was to be held at a banquet hall. Not even once, Ayat got a chance to talk to Ahsan and she was absolutely okay with that. Her heart was at peace.

Everything was being done by Sabeen and when Ayat would come back from work, she'd be dragged along to do shopping as well. And it was this last week when Zeliha gave her a leave for two weeks and as much unhappy Ayat was, she accepted.

Irha had just arrived today. Although she wanted to come a week before but her tight schedule wasn't at all cooperative. Sikander and Fatima were out of station but sent lots of duas and gifts for her.

Mehndi was supposed to take place tonight and after she had pressed her outfit, Ayat made some coffee and after giving it to Sabeen, she took the other cup and headed toward her room where Irha was curled up in a sofa, typing away in her phone.

"God! Irha, I'm gonna throw this phone of yours in hearth if you even think of using it again." She retorted as she sat on the couch and handed Irha a cup.

In just a split of second, she put the phone away, "Sorry, it was this patient of mine."

"Oh," Ayat pouted in understanding.

After taking a pull from her cup, Irha commenced, "Okay, so tell me everything."

"About what?" Ayat scrunched her eyebrows.

"Ahsan, of course." Perking up in her spot, she said as if it were quite obvious.

Drawing a deep breath, Ayat tilted her head and fell in thoughts. "Well," she searched for words as Irha looked at her while taking a sip with both her brows arched up. "He's really funny, you know?"

Almost spitting the coffee out, Irha pulled the cup away and put it on the table as Ayat looked at her with knitted-brows. "What?"

"You're getting married for funny? 'Cause if so, you could just marry me. I'm sure I'm funnier than him." She giggled and Ayat smacked her on her bicep.

Once they had prayed Duhr and slouched down in the couch again, a long silence ensued when after much thought, Irha broke it. "Umm...Ayat?"

Ayat who was busy in brushing through her hair, mumbled "huh," her attention still on her hair as she slid her fingers through the strands falling over her shoulder.

Tugging at the corner of her shirt, Irha faltered. "I have to ask you something." Her head was casted downward as she said in intervals.

Parting her hair from the middle, Ayat replied, "Ask what?"

"But first promise you won't get angry."

"If you keep acting like this, I'll get angry before you have even asked me." She reprimanded as she brushed through one side.

Heaving a deep constricted breath, she finally spilled. "What exactly happened that night?"

Ayat's hands suddenly halted as she turned her head toward Irha in bewilderment. She knew what she was referring to. How could she not?

"Why are you asking this? Haven't I already told you everything?" Her voice was heavy and brash, her eyes blood-shed.

Licking her lips, Irha faltered as she tried to form coherent sentences. "I---err--- was just wondering if---umm---what you saw was actually, you know, true." Holding her breath, she stammered while Ayat gaped at her in disbelief as she clutched the brush tightly in her hand.