Chapter 1 - Sour, Soft Beginnings

Point of View: Layne Staley

There he was. That long haired man from yesterday. His hair was insane. 2x longer than mine.. like angel hair almost. He was sitting on the curb, smoking a cigarette. He had a backpack, and a guitar case. He was ousted the "Off Ramp Cafe"

"You an artist?" I asked, pretending like I was just about to go inside.

"Huh?" He looked up at me, then put his cigarette out. "I just play guitar."

"Oh."

I wanted to sit by him but didn't think I'd be too invited.

"I sing in a band." I told him.

"You do?" He asked.

"Yeah. My bands called Alice n Chains."

The man quickly patted the spot next to him, so I sat down. "Was that your band? Last night?"

"Here? Yeah." I laughed. "Its not the kind of lead singing I had planned on doing. But it's something."

"What do you mean?"

"Well i- I kinda talk more than sing. I'm too scared to actually sing."

"Why?"

I shrugged. "My band says I'm good but I just dont know."

"I'm sure you're good kid."

"I dont know. But hey! How long have you been playing guitar?"

"Since I was like 16. Got my first show when I was 18."

"How long ago was that?"

The man shrugged. "Maybe like 5  years ago."

I nodded. "So..youreee?"

"23. If that's what you're wondering."

"Oh. I'm 17. My birthdays actually tomorrow. That's why the show my bands playing Tommorrow is free."

The man nodded again.

A car pulled up to me. It was my band mates. "You should come! Wont even have to pay."

"I'll see man."

I stood up, and opened the car door. "You needa ride or something? We gotta extra seat."

He shook his head 'no'. "I'll just walk to where I'm headed. It's just a block or two away."

I shrugged. "Alright. Show up man!"

I got in and we drove away.

"Whose that?" My friend asked.

"I dont know. Never got his name. He plays guitar though. And he'll probably be at our show tommorrow night."

He looked at me through the rearview mirror. "Dont get your Hope's up Staley."

"Who said im getting my Hope's up?"

"You seem overly happy about this homeless man coming to our show."

"Hes not homeless. He doesnt even look homeless."

Our drummer got all close to my face. "Aweeee. Look at Laney.. defending his little new crush!"

"Hes not my crush. I dont even like boys." I defended.

"Layne. You wear a shit ton of hairspray and makeup."

Our guitarist chimed in. "And shiny clothes."

"Its for the shows." I defended again.

"Were just giving you shit buddy. What were you guys even talking about?"

"Music. Tomorrow night's show. That's about it."

"What was he even doing? Just hanging out on the curb?"

"I dont know. He was there yesterday too."

Our drummer nudged my arm again. "Hey. I dont know what's weirder- him sitting on the curb alone, the fact that you went and talked to him, or the fact that you stalked him yesterday."

"I did not stalk him!" I exclaimed.

"Hey- hey. Were here assholes."

We all got out of the car and ran into the Music Bank. It's a place where musicians stay. We went into the small studio room and practiced for tomorrow's show.

My birthday show.

All I could think about was that guy. What was his name? What was he doing out there alone? Would he actually show up?