Chapter 15 - Can We?

Point of View: Jerry Cantrell

This kid really liked me. I could tell he wanted something more from me. Like Stone. I knew about Stone and Matt. And I don't feel like losing Layne to some random fucker...not that Matt was random..or a fucker.

But Laynes only 18 for christ's sake. I'm not worried about him being 18 and me being 23. The kids an adult. I'm just worried that he doesnt know what he wants at 18.

He might just be falling for me because I'm someone who touches him. Gives him affection. And attention. I know how that goes. I'm that way. I was that way with Stone.

I dont think I liked Stone as a boyfriend. I liked him as a friend. With benefits.

Layne walked in smiling, holding a leather jacket. He held it up. "I got it for you." He said.

I smiled back. I couldnt help it. "No, you keep it." I said.

"I cant. I got myself one too. I always wanted one.. and thought that you could maybe use a new one."

I took the jacket, and put it on. "Whyd you do that?"

Layne put his own on. We were matching. "Because I like you. And yours is all worn out."

"We need to talk about that." I sat down, and he sat next to me.

"About what?"

"Do you really like me kid? Or are you just getting your damn heart strings pulled because I give you affection?"

Layne looked offended. "I get affection from other people Jerry. Do you think I'm some loner guy that only you like? Other people like me. Other people flirt with me. I'm a musician Jerry. Girls freak out over me after shows all the time. I dont need you to get laid if you think that's all I like about you. If I was here to get laid then I wouldn't care if you stayed here afterwards."

"I didnt mean to upset you." I told him.

Layne took his jacket off and grabbed a cigarette. "You kind of did."

"So you really like me huh?"

"Yes I do. Us kissing isnt the only thing about you that I like."

"Like what?"

"I can't say or it won't be special anymore. But what about you?"

"I like you."

Layne turned to me, and took a drag off his cigarette. "Then why arent we dating?"

"I already told you. Because I'm too young to be held down."

"No one ever said you'd be held down.  What..does the idea of only being able to fuck and flirt with me..instead of other people upset you?"

"No I-" I didnt know what else to say. Maybe it did bother me. But I need to realize that I can get everything I want from Layne. Without help from some girl at the bar.

"Then date me."

"Okay."

Laynes eyes lit up. "What!?"

"Yeah. I'll date you kid."

Layne rolled his eyes. "I'm not a kid. I'm a young adult. Like you."

Sounded like Stone. I thought.

I leaned forward and kissed him.

I pulled back. "Let's do a show tonight."

"What do you mean?"

"My new band. With you actually singing."

"But we havent set up a gig. Or practiced."

"I set one up earlier. At the off Ramp. And well practice now."

Layne smiled big at me. "Tonight.." he said, almost in disbelief.

***

Sean, and Mike came over, and we all practiced a song I wrote. Sean already knew the drum part to it..Mike swore he could do a bass part to it on the spot, and Layne and I worked on the lyrics all week last week.

***

We all got to the Off Ramp and set up. Sean and Mike went to get a few drinks before starting, so Layne and I were left alone on stage. I went to give Layne I side hug- and could feel him shaking.

I looked at him confused. "You cold?"

Layne shook his head. "No. Nervous."

"You perform all the time! What's wrong now?"

He gave me a look.

"I've never actually sang in front of this many people. Plus it's a whole new band.. whole new style. What if they dont like me? What if they dont like us? All of us?"

I stood up and grabbed Laynes arm. "Follow me."

I lead Layne back to the bathroom, and locked the door.

"Jerry?" He questioned.

"Were not doing what you think." I assured.

I grabbed his sides, and kissed him. "Your voice is beautiful. We all sound great together. Dont worry about it okay? I'll stand next to you- close if you want. You'll be alright Layne."

He nodded, and rested his head against my shoulder. Then I hugged him.

"Come on babe. We got a show to do."

I rustled my hand through his hair, and we left.

We performed the one song. Twice. People loved it so much they wanted to hear it twice. Both times we did kick ass. Both times Layne did kick ass.

***

After the show we went back to Laynes place. We both smoked a cigarette before laying in his bed together. He pulled all his clothes off, and blushed once he caught me sort of staring. I did the same, and we just cuddled.

You'd think I'd be ready to fuck him after a crazy night like that.. but I was tired. I just wanted to lay with him.

"I liked it when you called me babe." Layne said.

I smiled at him. "You did?"

"Yeah."

"Well I liked calling you it.. kid."

Layne shook his head. "Quit calling me kid."

"Sorry... babe.."

We both chuckled, then Layne nuzzled into my chest, and soon fell asleep.