Chapter 4 - No Need

Point of View: Jerry Cantrell

"Whatre you doing?" Sean asked, as he walked in.

I picked up the last beer can off of the coffee table. "Picking up."

"Since when do you care to clean up this place?"

"Since I invited Layne over."

"Laynes coming over?"

"Yea. He caught me at the Cafe hanging up band flyers. Asked if he could hear me play guitar so I invited him over."

"Well good thing you picked up." Sean began. "Because a shit ton of Off Ramp performers are coming here."

"Why?" I asked.

"To hangout. Were recruiting people for our band. Remember?" He explained.

"I guess."

"Cool. Cause they should all be here any minute. Might wanna get your guitar out now buddy."

I threw the trash away, then ran to my room to get changed and ready.

As I was changing I could hear people start to pour in. I put on the same outfit from the other night. Sean's leather jacket, and band tank top, and my own shorts and combat boots. I grabbed my guitar and an amp, and walked out.

I could only make out a few familiar faces.

Chris Cornell, Matt Cameron, Kim Thayil, Eddie Vedder, Jeff Ament, Mike Mccready, and Stone Gossard.

Of course Stone would show.

I set myself and my amp up on the counter, and strummed to get everyone's attention. "I didn't know about this shit show party till now." I laughed. "If you're here to party, then rock on. If your here to try out for my bassist and lead singer, meet me out front so I can fucking actually hear you guys."

The crowd got loud again, and a few people trailed outside. I got out last and saw Layne walking up the side walk.

"You guys sit here for a second." I told the group.

I ran up to Layne and stopped him.

"I didn't know you guys were having a party." He said.

He looked more normal tonight. His curly hair was down, he had no makeup on- except for maybe a little bit of left over eye liner, a tank top and a vest on, a pair of shorts, and combat boots.

We were almost dressed the fucking same.

"I didn't know either. I guess Sean threw it to recruite people for our band." I nodded towards the group of people. "Those are them. Everyone else is inside drinking and whatever. Theres a lot of musicians in there too..if you wanna go mingle."

"Could I just sit out here with you? Maybe help?" He asked.. kind of shyly.

"Of course man. I gotta go grab an extension cord for these amps, and grab my guitar. I'll be back."

Layne nodded, and headed to the crowd.

I set up the extension cord and plugged up my amp and guitar.

"Alright. I'm gonna play something.. you all just listen. If you dont think my guitar style is something you can play or sing to, just hang out inside or something."

A few people nodded so I started to play.

I played a piece I wrote.. where it's slow then speeds up. An alternative sound. I had my distortion on a bit too.

I looked up and everyone was still there.

"Okay. I'll pick the first bassist." I told them.

One by one I kept pulling people. None of them seemed good enough though. It was all bland as hell.