Chapter 2 - Sour, Soft Beginnings Pt. 2

Point of View: Jerry Cantrell

I walked to Sean's house. Weve been buddies for like a year now.

"So he just came up to you?" Sean asked.

"Yeah. I could tell he felt awkward just standing there talking to me, so I signaled him to sit by me." I explained.

"Maybe he thought you looked lonely." Sean fake frowned at me.

I chuckled. "Maybe." I took out another cigarette, and lit it. "I guess it's the kids 18th birthday tomorrow.. so him and his little bands gonna play at the 'Off Ramp' tomorrow night. He said he wants me to go."

"So are you gonna?"

I shrugged. "I dont even know the kid."

"So what man! It's a free show. You know the Cafes deal: free shows equal free drinks."

"I guess so. But you gotta come with me."

Sean laughed. "Its free fucking drinks man. It's been a while since I got wasted for free. Not since Melinda paid for my drinks."

"Oh my fucking god."

We both laughed.

***

The next day Sean and I got ready to go to that kids show.

"Thats.. what you're wearing?" Sean asked me.

I just had on an old shirt and a pair of shorts, with my boots.

"Uh, yeah?" I questioned.

"Come on Jerry. Dress up a bit."

Sean ran back to his room. I rolled my eyes once he tossed me a band tank top, and a leather jacket. "Here."

"Its just some show. Not sleaze fest."

"It could become sleaze fest though."

I chuckled. "God you're stupid."

"Stupid is as stupid does Jerry."

I rolled my eyes and changed, then we got into Sean's car.

"We gotta go get Melinda. Shes coming." Sean said.

I walked into Melinda's apartment with Sean.

Melinda's brother, Mike Starr was sitting on the couch, tuning some old bass.

(QUICK SIDE NOTE: Melinda is Mike Starrs real sister and Melinda and Sean Kinney Really did date in real life.)

"You play bass?" I asked him.

"Yeah." Mike told me.

"Cool."

Melinda walked out of her room, in a navy blue dress, that stopped above her knees.

"I'm ready." Melinda said, walking up to Sean.

"Where you guys going?" Mike asked.

"The Off Ramp Cafe. Jerry's new friend is playing a free show. Which means free boozzeeee." Sean explained.

Melinda laughed.

"Shit, I'm going." Mike said. He hopped up and ran into his room.

"Mike! You dont have to baby me and go wherever I go you know!" Melinda yelled.

Mike came back with a leather jacket and a pair of sunglasses. "Sean can shove his tongue down your throat all night I dont care. I just want to go drink." He stood between Sean and Melinda. "But not too crazy kids. That shits dangerous ok?"

"Got it." Sean said.

***
We got to the Off Ramp Cafe. People were just coming in. Mike, Sean, and Melinda went off to the bar, and I just picked a booth big enough for all of us to sit at.

Sean brought me a drink and winked at me. Before I could ask him "what?" He walked off.

I took the shot, then heard someone say "Hey!"

I looked up- it was the kid from yesterday. "Oh hey man."

"Can I sit?" He asked.

"Sure uh- hey I never got your name?"

"Oh, Layne. My names Layne. Sorry I look crazy."

He had on eyeliner, blush, and his hair was up in a ponytail.

I chuckled. "You look like a drag queen. But my names Jerry."

"Its for the show Jerry." Layne said in a fake girl voice, as he swung his ponytail around.

We both busted out laughing.

"Fucking god.. I cant breathe." I said between laughter.

"What? It's what all the the rock stars do now." Layne defended.

Some guy came up behind Layne and said something in his ear.

"I gotta go up." He told me.

"Have fun drag queen." I laughed.

I went up to the front of the crowd to watch the show. They weren't the best..not gonna lie. But Layne? He had something special. I dont know what it was but he did.