17

"Jace." His name left my mouth quietly as I stood in front of his cell, escorted by Brother Enoch.

"You shouldn't have come here." Jace shook his head, "Take her out."

"No- I'm staying." I quickly counteract, "Jace, I need to know if you're gonna be okay."

"Is Alec safe?" Jace stepped out the dark and to the bars, "Is he all right?"

"He's fine-" I exhale, "Jace, I feel terrible- about everything- you're here because of me. If I hadn't fallen under Dot's spell, you wouldn't have-"

"You're not what put me here, Zee." Jace cut me off, "I have to pay for my actions."

"What actions?" I snipped, "You were manipulated and blackmailed-"

Jace doesn't reply.

"What can I do to help?" I asked, "Please, tell me- I'll do anything-"

Jace's words then made my heart stop, "You can stay away from me."

My face twists in an emotion even I couldn't decipher, "You want me to what?"

Jace's words hit me hard, "No matter what happens, never come near me again."

"Jace, what are you talking about?" I gripped onto the bars, "You're my family- we grew up together."

"I am Valentine's weapon." Jace's face was inches away from mine, "You think he's just gonna let me go?"

I don't reply.

"He knows that you-" Jace stopped, and swallowed, his voice lowering, "You're my weakness."

Jace clears his throat and looks down, "If I ever get out of here, he'll come after you again- and I can't have that happen."

"I don't care, Jace." I argued, "I'm not afraid of him- we escaped his ship- we can get through whatever he has ready for us- we'll fight him off together."

"There is no together for you and me, Zee." Jace's words were like a slap in my face, "There never can be."

My heart fell to the deepest pit of my stomach, "Jace."

"We're done here." Jace pulled away from me and stepped back into the darkest.

"No- no, Jace-" I began to protest, but was being pulled away by Brother Enoch, my eyes locked with his until I could no longer see him.

-

"Well, this is one nasty demon." Isabelle took a sample, exhaling, "Punched a hole right through his chest."

Luke places his hands on his sides, "With that kind of strength, I doubt it's done yet."

Alec joined us, "Nothing in the immediate area."

"We're taking the body back to the Institute." Isabelle told us, "I'll run some tests to see what kind of demon we're dealing with."

"Zee and I will widen the perimeter." Alec lightly nudged me, making me snap out of the trance of thoughts I was in, "Young, we've got a demon to hunt."

"Right-" I murmured and followed his quick footsteps around the corner.

Alec grabs my hand as we walked, drawing the heat vision rune on my hand, "Remember- filter out everything unimportant, hone in on the heat signature."

"I know what I'm doing-" I sigh deeply, squinting my eyes, looking around.

"Are you okay?" Alec noticed my mood that even I hadn't paid much attention to.