32

Isabelle sighs, when her, Jace and I were heading right for Sebastian's apartment, "Zee, don't-"

"No- no, god- I knew there was something off about Sebastian- or Jonathan-" I was walking fast, "I should've never second-guessed myself-"

"He would've found his way into our lives, one way or another." Jace said, "The only thing that matters now is taking Jonathan and Valentine out-"

"Jonathan!-" Isabelle shouts when we kicked through the door, to see him seated in a chair.

Jace had his sword, "Turn around and face us."

"Where is Valentine?" I questioned, my hands tight on my kindjals as we were all armed and ready.

Isabelle slowly pushes him to face us, his dead body revealing, making Jace speak, "He's been dead for days- tortured first."

"It's not Jonathan." I let my guard down, "This was the real Sebastian Verlac-"

Jace exhales, "Ave atque vale."

"Hail and farewell." We all recite.

When he started to shake, then screeched and jumped onto the wall, snarling at us, Jace held his ground, "It's a possessing demon-"

"Izzy-" I called out to her, as she quickly used her whip and pulled Sebastian to the ground, as I stabbed my kindjals into him, killing the demon.

Isabelle exhales slowly, "We'll make 'em pay for what they did to you-"

My jaw was clenched, "We're going to make them pay for everything."

-

"Have you notified the Verlac family yet?" asked Inquisitor Herondale, as we were on video chat with her in Alec's office.

Alec replies, "The Penhallow daughter, Aline, will deliver the message in person, Madame Inquisitor."

"Defiling the body of a fallen soldier and turning it into a booby trap is sadly par for the course for Valentine, isn't it?" Inquisitor Herondale said.

"The possessing demon wouldn't have done this its own." Alec says, "The trap could only have been set using the Mortal Cup to command it."

Inquisitor Herondale scoffs, "So, he had it all along."

"And our intel shows he's also in possession of the Mortal Sword." Alec added in after she spoke.

Inquisitor Herondale exhales, "Do you have any good news for me today, Mr. Lightwood?"

"Valentine and Jonathan believe that the New York Institute is in possession of the Mortal Mirror." Alec mentioned, "They won't leave the city without it."

Inquisitor Herondale nods once, "Thank the Angel that at least he wasn't able to find that."

"We were." Alec looked back at me, "Zee."

"My connection with the Angel led us to it, and fortunately for us, It's in Idris." I had my hands behind my back as I stepped up, "The mirror is Lake Lyn."

"That's the very same water that Raziel first rose from." Inquisitor Herondale gapes, "Who else knows about this?"

"Unfortunately, the number of people we can trust is getting smaller by the day." Jace joins, "We thought it best to tell you first."

"We'd like to officially request soldiers from the Guard to be placed in the surrounding woods around the lake." Jace asks, "It may only be a matter of time before Valentine realizes he's been had."